Ever wonder what happens when the lights go off?

coralgazer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to my new reef tank, 36 gallon bow front, I am hopelessly addicted now. Please help me!

4 days ago I put my 1st coral in, a beautiful hammer coral, doing great. mail ordered 3 Small Florida Ricordias, also doing well.

Today I went to the LFS and wanted everything they had. Settled on one large green mushroom colony on Fiji live rock. Decided not to dip due to lots of favorable life animals found on rock. spend a lot of time arranging, Artistic side of this is fun. We have a fantastic iridescent flashlight, so I thought I would take these pics for you. Reef life at night! 1st is a hammer coral, 2nd is new mushroom colony, 3rd and 4th are new baby Ricordias.

nite-reef-4.jpg
nite-reef-3.jpg
nite-reef-1.jpg
nite-reef-2.jpg

swayd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh you just wait until you see some feeder tentacles, those are always amazing to look at when the lights are off!

swayd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think all lps and sps have sweeper tentacles and yes they do stong so be careful where you place certain coral.

nova65ss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of the corals in your pics will have sweepers at night. The hammer should close up after the lights are off for a bit. It may not close all the way but pretty close.

nova65ss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hammers can extend sweepers up to 6 " at night and have a powerful sting.

Interesting my frogspawn closes up completely at night always has. I thought a hammer was the same.

Last edited:

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of my hammers or frogspawns send out feeders... My favia on the other hand send the massive strings of death out every night...

Cool pics!

Dsdaley77

*REEF ADDICT*
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only corals that send out sweepers are my Galaxea (little 2in frag but 8in sweepers) and a green Slimer that I had to get rid of (was getting to close to my Red Planet). I absolutely love putting on my led headlamp at night and checking everything out. I actually have a reminder set in my phone every two weeks to do a full search for bad guys at night since its easier to find them when my Zoas and everything else is deflated or closed ;)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back