Every thing died

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see but when you see the same tank in your usual 3 aquarium stores and people giving advice with pictures sent to me withnthe same tank and same fish why is mine different
Simple. Not everyone gives good advice. Stores are in business to sell products. Most could care less about what you buy or the health of your animals as long as you spend money. There's also alot of beginners out there giving bad advise to eachother.

OP
OP
Joeya491

Joeya491

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well did a 50 % water change cleaned the rock and filter everything died

that was opposite of what we did in the thread though, did you see how clean Loftreef’s final pic was, and Laura‘s after the 100% water change and sand rinse

Their tank was so clear/fish happy/ the water was so clear the tank looked empty.

If you did these exact steps in a larger reef, it’d still be dead. That’s a very important planning step on rounds two and three coming
Sorry i thought i read 50% and rinse sand and rock.. i pulled the sand out with the net and rinsed it threw the net scrubbed the rock with a toothbrush and 50% water change no chemicals parameters are fine for the ones i have kh is still high its at 7 ph is good ammonia is at 0 i wish someone would send pics of nitrate and nitrite color card so i can test that instead of having to buy new kits

Everything already died before the post just wantef to save what ever animals i had left ill stick to water changes no chemicals i picked up a timer for the light and snails are moving around hermit crabs lived but the crabs died and clown

OP
OP
Joeya491

Joeya491

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple. Not everyone gives good advice. Stores are in business to sell products. Most could care less about what you buy or the health of your animals as long as you spend money. There's also alot of beginners out there giving bad advise
Simple. Not everyone gives good advice. Stores are in business to sell products. Most could care less about what you buy or the health of your animals as long as you spend money. There's also alot of beginners out there giving bad advise to eachother.
The pet shops have the same tank set up as display with the same set up i had in 3 places i go to for advice they just say water change and every month i bring water in for a test until i learn as much as i can about salt water

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. Plus for a first time tank rescue its not like our rip clean threads are brief, or free of committed study to copy lol

you’re being very patient with our acceptance process nicely done.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main takeaway is smaller tanks are awesome, thats what I keep and if you’ll go low on fish, high on corals it’ll look great in scale for its size, run smoother, and you can effect parameter control through water changes in each nano vs parameter adjust, and add dosers. It’s a better way for round two. The ability for easy water changes to stabilize things is just why I prefer small tanks to large ones

for years the only parameters I know about my pico reef are the temp and salinity. If anything acts strange, it gets a large water change and I’ve learned the timing to run them before things degrade.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Joeya491

Joeya491

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main takeaway is smaller tanks are awesome, thats what I keep and if you’ll go low on fish, high on corals it’ll look great in scale for its size, run smoother, and you can effect parameter control through water changes in each nano vs parameter adjust, and add dosers. It’s a better way for round two. The ability for easy water changes to stabilize things is just why I prefer small tanks to large ones

for years the only parameters I know about my pico reef are the temp and salinity. If anything acts strange, it gets a large water change and I’ve learned the timing to run them before things degrade.
Idk about patience. I just
I mean they had theres set up just like mine i copied one od the displays

OP
OP
Joeya491

Joeya491

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry my phone was acting up...

I used to have a reef tank actually a couple in my room in high school im 35 now and havent had a tank since i set this one up to see if i still had it and wanted to put my self threw the test of having a nano tank... everything was fine for 6 months went away on vacation left the tank in someone that didnt know what to do besides feed the fish and came back everything died so i broke it down in april

Got bored started it up again in july well july 7th my birthday and some one said crabs inverts bought 6 emerald crabs 5 hermits 4 snails and 2 clown 4 crabs made it some times id see an extra crab i know i had 4 then theres 6 then 4 so its been bounced around i think 4 emerald green crabs are good in a 5 gallon the snails went to 3 and the hermit crabs im sure if i had more shells would of had extras the clowns stuck together wanted to get a lil home for them but the tank wes to small sucks i lost all that

OP
OP
Joeya491

Joeya491

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry my phone was acting up...

I used to have a reef tank actually a couple in my room in high school im 35 now and havent had a tank since i set this one up to see if i still had it and wanted to put my self threw the test of having a nano tank... everything was fine for 6 months went away on vacation left the tank in someone that didnt know what to do besides feed the fish and came back everything died so i broke it down in april

Got bored started it up again in july well july 7th my birthday and some one said crabs inverts bought 6 emerald crabs 5 hermits 4 snails and 2 clown 4 crabs made it some times id see an extra crab i know i had 4 then theres 6 then 4 so its been bounced around i think 4 emerald green crabs are good in a 5 gallon the snails went to 3 and the hermit crabs im sure if i had more shells would of had extras the clowns stuck together wanted to get a lil home for them but the tank wes to small sucks i lost all that
My cat loved them shed sit on my lap and star at the tank nwver went after them she knew she saw me put time and effort in it now i got this big butt looking like itll eat me bearded dragon my freind gave me whole set up and i got that to feed and clean on top of the tank the litter box and room i rent but thats another story

For now the tank is good hermit crabs are running around again snails ar moving and ill do 2 water changes get that 20 gallon set that up and move every body in..

Water changes no chemicals check parameters if a paramiter is high do a water change salt and temp. Not alot of fish keep a dr tank for emergencies no purple up use the other stuff ill look it up in a minute dont over dose dont mess with the tank just do water changes any thing else i wont hesitate to ask and can someone please send me pics or there parameters charts

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And if a bad store (not saying your particular one did) does something like that and a fish dies, or gets mental problems, or stops being a baby and gets bigger, they just put a new baby in.

I hope your plan wouldn't be too burn through a constant supply of baby fish.

But it seems you are on the right path now from your comments

OP
OP
Joeya491

Joeya491

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres a pic of it after thenwater settled from last night
16317653204592311023861707500098.jpg

OP
OP
Joeya491

Joeya491

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if a bad store (not saying your particular one did) does something like that and a fish dies, or gets mental problems, or stops being a baby and gets bigger, they just put a new baby in.

I hope your plan wouldn't be too burn through a constant supply of baby fish.

But it seems you are on the right path now from your comments
No it was pacula clowns ive been going in for years and the other 2 pet shops well one is a renown place with amazing tanks the lady decorates them really well she got that asian thing going ive been going to her she sold me the tank gave me some ideas and told me about this form shes probably one of you

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, because they want customers to think doing so is OK and thus buy things. The store can also swap out fish or replace dead fish whenever they want. Any store that tells you 2 clownfish, chromis (possibly more than 1) 3 emerald crabs, shrimp, hermits, etc. (you mentioned possibly adding a clam at some point as well) in a 5 gallon tank is a good idea simply wants your money.

OP
OP
Joeya491

Joeya491

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
16317661635797922071905319724848.jpg

Wall-E the only hermit crab
Thats the alge on his shell
Yeah, because they want customers to think doing so is OK and thus buy things. The store can also swap out fish or replace dead fish whenever they want. Any store that tells you 2 clownfish, chromis (possibly more than 1) 3 emerald crabs, shrimp, hermits, etc. (you mentioned possibly adding a clam at some point as well) in a 5 gallon tank simply wants your money

She was advice the other 2 were fish

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back