Everyone's favorite fishfood!

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using a combination of frozen Rods food and Hikari. May try LRS frozen

Upvote 0

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a big fan of Rods and PE mysid and always wanted to try making my own, but now feeding LRS and it is kinda amazing. It def smells like fresh seafood and the fish are now very partial to it.
59ACD064-A310-4402-8C68-1E90E0F69C96.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Areeflover

Areeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a thought. Tell me if it’s substantial or just untrue.. making your own frozen fish food.. is it possibly releasing things in your tank that manufactures avoid by sterilizing.. annnd do pellets have more dense protein so you don’t need to feed as much and pollute the tank as much??

Upvote 0

kichimark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have mentioned, I tend to make my own mixes or just use the same seafood that I eat (i.e. wild salmon, scallops. etc). My fish and corals show a great feeding response with these mixes and gulp chunks down. I also give some PE and regular mysis on a rotating basis. Got to have a balance and some seafood is not year round. In the 11 years of doing this (my own mixes), I have never had an issue and if anything my fish and corals look better. Never had an issue with pollution either (I am on top of my parameters regardless).

Look at this yuma eating this large chunk of wild halibut and notice the smile afterwards. Never see this reaction with no regular mysis.

9kb8T3ml.jpg

OwEGSILl.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 1
OP
OP
Areeflover

Areeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have mentioned, I tend to make my own mixes or just use the same seafood that I eat (i.e. wild salmon, scallops. etc). My fish and corals show a great feeding response with these mixes and gulp chunks down. I also give some PE and regular mysis on a rotating basis. Got to have a balance and some seafood is not year round In the 11 years of doing this, I have never had an issue and if anything my fish and corals look better. Never had an issue with pollution either (I am on top of my parameters regardless).

Look at this yuma eating this large chunk of wild halibut and notice the smile afterwards. Never see this reaction with no regular mysis.

9kb8T3ml.jpg

OwEGSILl.jpg
Okay that’s great info. Thank you I’ll give it a shot

Upvote 0

kichimark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay that’s great info. Thank you I’ll give it a shot
You fish/corals will love you. Now, keep in mind some corals will not go for anything (my hammers/frogspawn for example). But if you have yuma's, fat head dendros, blasto's, acans or any other LPS, give them chunks the size of a green pea. I tend to use a turkey baster to deliver them their dinner. Especially since the clowns never want to stop eating haha. Anything I don't use i just throw in the freezer and defrost some chunks when it is feeding time.

Upvote 0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back