Evo 13.5 AKH @ 7.4

Espino963

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I have a fairly new 13.5 Evo with a pulsing xenia, mushroom and a 2 zoas as well as 2 clowns. I test my water every 3 days for ammonia, nirites and nitrates and was curios about AKH, Calc and Mag since I didn’t have a test kit.

Today I tested AKH at my local store and got a reading of 7.4akh with is low to me. The water I buy is made from Red Sea which I guess is normal.
I purchased a Red Sea test kit as well as B-Ionic 2 part dosing to raise my AKH. Can anyone give me pointers since I have such a small water base to work with. I want to raise my AKH to about 8-8.5 so my corals can be happier. My local store doses and their readings are between 8-8.5.
Sorry for being such a newb

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you are using the red sea salt (not coral pro), you may want to test a batch right after you make it to make sure that a half a cup per a gallon gives you the readings it should. Your salinity tester could read higher than it is and that could cause a problem. The reason why I was guessing it could be this is that you don't really have anything in your tank that should be draining your alk significantly.

If that checks out and its all good, just dose in the first chamber of the evo rear area and do not raise the alk by more than 0.5 at a time.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back