Evo 13.5 problems need help

stanthefishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I have a 13.5 evo and it’s been up and running for 4 months now.This is my first ever saltwater tank and I’ve been learning a lot as I go along, however I’ve been having some issues recently and i definitely need help, Issue number 1 hair algae problem for about a month now and I have just recently lowered my lights down to 6 hours with a 1 hour and 30 minute ramp up/down time also have added chemi pure that removes phosphates which mine were high so I think I have that under control, my next problem is I believe my oxygen level might be low and I do not know how to fix this issue my snails and starfish are going to the surface at times also at times I notice my fish breathing rapidly, I feed one full block of frozen mysis per day, I am running a AI prime, auto top off, stock pump, stock heater, chamber one in tank with a filter sponge on top to catch the loose hair algae and right believe that is the chemi pure. I have 5 different Zoas, a Duncan, two recordea mushrooms and two separate colonies of GSP, also have sand sifting starfish, Halloween crab, urchin, and two snails. Also any advice on what to do next like anymore upgrades or anything like that I will try to figure out how to upload a picture. Thanks !

OP
OP
S

stanthefishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

Acroconut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stock pump is pretty minimal for this tank if you are trying to grow corals. I run a vivosun 210gph return and I have a Jebao SLW10 on the other side of the tank. I may move up to the next level of Jebao as my corals are getting too big for this tank. I only have 2 fish in the tank (Picasso clown and a neon goby). I do have some hermit crabs and snails.

366571126_10224598908146596_4114946760471202031_n.jpg

ReefGiant

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regular water changes to control nitrates and phosphates has done wonders for me. I have a DOS pump that swaps half a gallon of water a day. Highly recommend it! Clean up crew also can help.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I have a 13.5 evo and it’s been up and running for 4 months now.This is my first ever saltwater tank and I’ve been learning a lot as I go along, however I’ve been having some issues recently and i definitely need help, Issue number 1 hair algae problem for about a month now and I have just recently lowered my lights down to 6 hours with a 1 hour and 30 minute ramp up/down time also have added chemi pure that removes phosphates which mine were high so I think I have that under control, my next problem is I believe my oxygen level might be low and I do not know how to fix this issue my snails and starfish are going to the surface at times also at times I notice my fish breathing rapidly, I feed one full block of frozen mysis per day, I am running a AI prime, auto top off, stock pump, stock heater, chamber one in tank with a filter sponge on top to catch the loose hair algae and right believe that is the chemi pure. I have 5 different Zoas, a Duncan, two recordea mushrooms and two separate colonies of GSP, also have sand sifting starfish, Halloween crab, urchin, and two snails. Also any advice on what to do next like anymore upgrades or anything like that I will try to figure out how to upload a picture. Thanks !
The algae is normal for a tank that age.

You need to scrub it off every day until it settles down. A toothbrush works well.

To start I'd mix up a 2-3 gallons of new salt water. Take out the rock and 2-3 gal of water and scrub the rock in that water until you have gotten rid of most of the algae.

Put the rock back and top up the tank with the new water.

Give the frag plugs a scrub in the old water as well.

The starfish will starve in a tank that size, give it to someone.

1 block of frozen food a day is too much for an immature tank, switch to pellets and only feed what the fish will eat while you hand feed them.

Add a couple of more snails.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You need to scrub it off every day until it settles down. A toothbrush works well.

To start I'd mix up a 2-3 gallons of new salt water. Take out the rock and 2-3 gal of water and scrub the rock in that water until you have gotten rid of most of the algae.

1 block of frozen food a day is too much for an immature tank, switch to pellets and only feed what the fish will eat while you hand feed them.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The ugly stage will get better eventually.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back