Excess Silicates?

Matthew40b

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been dealing with this diatom outbreak for months now and cant seem to get rid of it. Ive been doing weekly water changes and when I test everything is in check. My tds meter is reading 0 but could there be silicates getting through? I have a 4 stage rodi and change filters regularly. Thank you

0F7B6A83-C66D-4CE5-8D99-10230CE27E0C.jpeg

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been dealing with this diatom outbreak for months now and cant seem to get rid of it. Ive been doing weekly water changes and when I test everything is in check. My tds meter is reading 0 but could there be silicates getting through? I have a 4 stage rodi and change filters regularly. Thank you

0F7B6A83-C66D-4CE5-8D99-10230CE27E0C.jpeg
Wouldn’t worry about it,. Whatever that coral growth is ( presuming a montipora) will starve it of light. Good job man :)

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of us add silicates add as a food source
Oh, I didn’t know that. I’ve added so much to fight dinos that I have lots of it. I was thinking about dosing some when it would be gone but I didn’t know it was a thing.

Can you give me an idea of how much you dose, how often and what size tank ?

Swiss Frag Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Matthew40b If it is just diatoms it will go away, I wouldn't even touch it. Do you have an Idea about the Nitrate and Phosphate in your tank? How long is you system up and running?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I didn’t know that. I’ve added so much to fight dinos that I have lots of it. I was thinking about dosing some when it would be gone but I didn’t know it was a thing.

Can you give me an idea of how much you dose, how often and what size tank ?
Unfortunately if there were an anti Dino formulae, it would have been published. I’ve not been plagued by this menace. I just add a few drops of silicate here and there, no benefit or detriment proved. Dino’s are natural, just undesirable. There is an element of luck in having a reef tanK.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RODI was zero TDS but ICP showed high silicate in my RODI water. This led to constant diatoms in my tank month after month. I switched to a spectrapure DI resin silicate buster filter and now have no silicate residual in my RODI.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...or it's not diatoms, and the Si isn't to blame.

OP
OP
Matthew40b

Matthew40b

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I was reading all of your responses and doing some research I realized that I haven't changed the membrane on my rodi in a few years. I dont know how I totally forgot about it I change the rest of the filters on a regular basis, but I am almost positive that it is to blame for this outbreak and some coral are also behaving strange so I ordered that and well wait and see if that fixes my problems. Thank you guys

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 40 27.8%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 30 20.8%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 34 23.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 37 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back