Exo Terra Background in Saltwater Aquarium

Coidy92

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 21, 2016
Messages
24
Reaction score
3
What state or country do you live in
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, im doing a new aquascape in my TMC Signature 450. The Aquarium is 450mmx450mmx450mm. I'm thinking of adding an exo terra rock background and just wondering if anyone has had any experience with them in aquariums. The backgrounds are made from polystyrene and are normally used in terrariums. My first thought was that it would float but the background I have bought is exactly 45x45cm. The same dimensions of my tank. I also have an RMS Bracket for my Radions which will keep it clamped down and my real reef rock will hold the bottom from pulling away. I want to glue real reef shelf rock onto the background to create a shelf look to attach corals. The only worry is what effect the background would have on fish and corals. The background cannot be toxic as it is used in terrariums submersed. Any ideas would be appreciated. Bellow is the background.
IMG_3108.JPG
 
Hi, im doing a new aquascape in my TMC Signature 450. The Aquarium is 450mmx450mmx450mm. I'm thinking of adding an exo terra rock background and just wondering if anyone has had any experience with them in aquariums. The backgrounds are made from polystyrene and are normally used in terrariums. My first thought was that it would float but the background I have bought is exactly 45x45cm. The same dimensions of my tank. I also have an RMS Bracket for my Radions which will keep it clamped down and my real reef rock will hold the bottom from pulling away. I want to glue real reef shelf rock onto the background to create a shelf look to attach corals. The only worry is what effect the background would have on fish and corals. The background cannot be toxic as it is used in terrariums submersed. Any ideas would be appreciated. Bellow is the background.
IMG_3108.JPG

It could work, but I might be concerned about the paint flaking off over time. In my vivariums I use Great Stuff expandable foam to create backgrounds, and there are quite a few folks that are using that method in their reef tanks as well. They tend to weigh it down with dry rock placed right into the surface of the still wet foam. You can get pretty creative with this stuff! I would recommend looking around at some other folks that have done a similar style tank.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 12 37.5%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 2 6.3%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new