Expanding the hobby!

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, being out of the hobby for many many years, you forget how addicting this is! I can truly say having a reef tank and all that goes with it has been one of my true passions, that has just been reignited by starting with my 29 Biocube.

The hobby is infectious, my father-in-law is now thinking of starting a tank (probably one of the Red Sea Reefers, or Red Sea Max serious with the rear chamber, and my father, who's going to be moving soon said he's thinking of starting up a tank too once the get into their new house.

I'm excited to help them get into the hobby, and it will also be really cool to help work on 3 different tanks...which lets be honest, is going to be AWESOME!

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! I helped my girlfriend's parents set up a reef aquarium and it has been quite the experience, especially since they are 10-11 hours away in the West Palm Beach area! I'd take them to the LFS and have them point out which corals and fish they like most before getting too heavy into setup, that will let you know what sort of tank to prioritize and plan the progression of the tank as well.

It will definitely be a fun experience so try to make the most of it :)

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its hard to get away from even though it is a drag on my wallet. good luck

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! I helped my girlfriend's parents set up a reef aquarium and it has been quite the experience, especially since they are 10-11 hours away in the West Palm Beach area! I'd take them to the LFS and have them point out which corals and fish they like most before getting too heavy into setup, that will let you know what sort of tank to prioritize and plan the progression of the tank as well.

Nice thing is...we'll all be no more than 10-15 minutes away from each other! My FIL wants "a lot" of fish...so he'd definitely end up going with one of the bigger tanks!

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing like spreading the word about this great hobby!

Fishmanz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Be sure to check on the Palm Beach Marine Aquarium Society as well at pbmas.org

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Salty, I see you're in Charlotte, so am I! Is there a "reefer" community around this area? I've done some looking online, but it seems like all the Charlotte area "groups" have lost all activity going back 1-2 years ago.

So far the LFS that i've found...which is actually where i got my BioCube, is Nemo's Reef in Matthews. Any other recommendations? Good to find another reefer local here.

Thanks!

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be sure to check on the Palm Beach Marine Aquarium Society as well at pbmas.org
When I eventually move down there with my girlfriend (better career-wise for the both of us), I plan on joining :) I'm sure her mom will join me as well since she's so enthusiastic about reef aquaria now

splix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldnt be happier with my Red Sea Max E260 AIO style tank. They should definitely go with one if they're thinking about it.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back