Expecting Power Outage - Airstones

  • Thread starter Thread starter Üter
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Üter

10K Club member
View Badges
Joined
May 8, 2023
Messages
12,227
Reaction score
81,795
Location
Maine
What state or country do you live in
Maine
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we are expecting widespread power outages tonight. I have a portable generator to run the house and the tanks are on UPS which runs the pumps for a couple hours. The air pumps I currently have provide 2 lines with air stones. I have both in the display but should one go in the sump? Just wondering if I should pick another up for the sump in the future. it only has more rock in there and not a fuge etc..Airstones are my backup if I'm not home or don't wake up during the outage to get to the generator.
 
I forgot to turn my return pump back on for a few hours and the dissolved oxygen was < 1.5 mg/L and dropping fast. I'd definitely recommend giving the sump an air stone too.
 
Why are these necessary if you have a generator?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new