Experience with clown tangs?

Robg719

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who has any long-term experience with clown tangs? (As I am writing this, I know I need to give mine up)

I've had mine ~10-11 months (purchase size ~2.5-3"", now is ~6-7"). He's very healthy and active, but over the past 2 months has gotten very aggressive, which is to be expected as I have several other Tangs. Feeding and lots of nori keeps him busy, but thats not a viable long term solution.

My bigger concern is he is starting to tear up my corals, probably b/c in too small of a tank and is bored (completely tore apart a huge leather I had for a few years, picking at gonipora and pecking at other softies i have)

When purchased at my LFS, I told them I had a 15o gallon and of course they said it would be fine. After the coral nipping started i did some research and found out they should really be in a 250g or larger, which is not in my future.

My guess is I will have to need (soon) to give him up to someone with a large/FOWLR system.
IMG_5161.jpg

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We kept a sohal in a 125 for many years but as the sole tang. They do get very aggressive and it sounds like he will most likely need to be re-homed. They are one of our favorite fish.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had a problem with them nipping corals, but do know that tangs can do that. But I have found clown tangs to be hyper aggressive getting worse as they mature.

OP
OP
Robg719

Robg719

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @DSC reef and @eatbreakfast. Going to bring him to my LFS in the near future and see if they will find it a more suitable home... maybe they will give me a credit for a nice coral ;)... thats if i can figure out how to catch it!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had a problem with them nipping corals, but do know that tangs can do that. But I have found clown tangs to be hyper aggressive getting worse as they mature.
Agree with this. Sohals as well.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back