Experience with clown tangs?

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by Robg719, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Robg719

Robg719 Member Build Thread Contributor

Who has any long-term experience with clown tangs? (As I am writing this, I know I need to give mine up)

I've had mine ~10-11 months (purchase size ~2.5-3"", now is ~6-7"). He's very healthy and active, but over the past 2 months has gotten very aggressive, which is to be expected as I have several other Tangs. Feeding and lots of nori keeps him busy, but thats not a viable long term solution.

My bigger concern is he is starting to tear up my corals, probably b/c in too small of a tank and is bored (completely tore apart a huge leather I had for a few years, picking at gonipora and pecking at other softies i have)

When purchased at my LFS, I told them I had a 15o gallon and of course they said it would be fine. After the coral nipping started i did some research and found out they should really be in a 250g or larger, which is not in my future.

My guess is I will have to need (soon) to give him up to someone with a large/FOWLR system. IMG_5161.jpg

DSC reef likes this.
    Tags:

2. DSC reef

DSC reef Coral wasted R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

We kept a sohal in a 125 for many years but as the sole tang. They do get very aggressive and it sounds like he will most likely need to be re-homed. They are one of our favorite fish.

4FordFamily likes this.
  3. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member 2018 Partner Member

I haven't had a problem with them nipping corals, but do know that tangs can do that. But I have found clown tangs to be hyper aggressive getting worse as they mature.

DSC reef likes this.
  4. Robg719

Thank you @DSC reef and @eatbreakfast. Going to bring him to my LFS in the near future and see if they will find it a more suitable home... maybe they will give me a credit for a nice coral ;)... thats if i can figure out how to catch it!

DSC reef likes this.
  5. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member 2018 Partner Member

Put a mirror by the side of the tank. He won't be able to resist fighting his reflection.

4FordFamily likes this.
  6. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Agree with this. Sohals as well.

7. Robg719

Wish that was true. This whole leather i has is gone!
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted