Experiences keeping BTAs on an island

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all! I've been keeping BTAs for many years but I've never tried keeping one "out on an island". The concept being to have a rock in the sandbed well away from the main rockwork with the goal to keep it there.

I saw this concept in a video from Dmitry Tumanov (the guy that created the AquaticLog app). He said that he's kept them on the island for years.

I'm looking for opinions from people that have actual EXPERIENCE with this. I'm aware that anemones can go wherever they please. But I'm hoping to hear from people that have tried exactly this.

Thanks!

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have experience, they stay on the island until they split too many times and then they go for a walk. They will go on the sand, or hop a ride on a passing snail. I would say they stayed for about a year.

this was the start it had split twice at this point.
B7607B0C-5060-40F0-AA20-CA6B88D75F1C.jpeg

OP
OP
undermind

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback! Do you feel that they walk after they split because they've overpopulated the space they're in? And they're seeking lesser competition? I know it's hard to guess on the motives of a BTA but I wonder if they would stay put if the clones are removed as soon as they split. I've become diligent about removing the clones in order to keep a grasp on my reef.

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently got my nems back after a move. Previously all 3 were on the main rockwork.
I created a new rockscape after the move and I wanted them to have a place separate from the rest.

The 3 nems came on their own rockwork, one came off of the rock as I was putting it in the tank so I got rid of that rockand added it next to another.
That nem tried to go for a wander up the back wall before falling down.I moved it back to the rock and it's stayed there since.

However, one of the nems that was on an island rock, decided a week ago that it wanted to go for a stroll over night. It's made it's way across sand and onto the main rockwork and seems to have found a spot.

The other 2 nems seem happy where they are, so it could be hit an miss.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back