Experiences moving a Large tank setup

LagunaGlide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a deal on a 240Gal FOWLR setup. I have to move it about an hour away. While I am pleased the deal I have no clue how I am going to move this tank, fish, stand, rock etc. The tank has a few nice fish that I really want to keep. I have some ideas on how to make this all happen, but was hoping to get thoughts from those who have done it. Thanks in advance

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Buy a quarantine tank (or set of tanks) that can house the fish while you do the transfer. They need to be stable for a few weeks while you rebuild the tank. Buy a bunch of orange buckets (and tops) from Home Depot etc. to haul water and live rock -- you want to transfer some of that so that you aren't starting from scratch.

Get a moving company (for liability in case it is dropped) or 8 strong guys and a bunch of suction cup handles from Harbor Freight.

Clear 2x as much time as you think you need from your schedule, and make sure any spouses have the expectations set that you are 100% unavailable.

Doclight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used styrofoam coolers in my last move... but buckets are reuseable.. get 3 or 4 friends to help..

Doclight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harbor freight has moving blankets.. other than that you’ll need a long bed.. trailer or uhaul. Or a moving company .. use tie downs to keep to from moving and the blankets to prevent scratches...

JLowder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harbor freight has moving blankets.. other than that you’ll need a long bed.. trailer or uhaul. Or a moving company .. use tie downs to keep to from moving and the blankets to prevent scratches...
You might also try a safe moving company. They will have all of the rigging equipment to do it without destroying it.

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost certainly there has to be a company nearby you that will assist you or completely do the entire move and set up of the new tank. It’s going to be dang near impossible that you could do this on your own unless you have the know-how and all the materials and rentals etc. to move the tank. I suggest you look for somebody and have them assist you.... that’s what I did with my 135 it was very easy and there were actually four different companies in the area which was a surprise to me that could do this for me.....otherwise you are in for a world of hurt !!! good luck!

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know some pros that I would trust. They'd travel to your location. They would be reasonable. I'd never stress myself out with a big tank move. I'd even see if they'd let me tag along to help.

OP
OP
LagunaGlide

LagunaGlide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has this happened yet? I found a tank but it would need to be moved, just wondering what worked out??

Just took place over the weekend. It was a chore. I spent a day emptying the tank of sand, rock, water, and livestock. I stuffed my 4 door wrangler with as much water carrying stuff as I could. First trip was all rock and water. I greatly underestimated how much space I would need for rock. Second trip was fish and sand. I paid a moving company to get the tank and stand to my house. Shop around for this. I got quotes of $700, but eventually found a place that did it for $200.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 14 43.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back