Experiences with the Rusty Angel

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I wonder how many of you have kept a Rusty Angel? If so, are they hardy? Are they peaceful and reef safe? And how do I go about pairing them? They pop up frequently at my LFS alongside the Coral Beauty and Half Black.

Also would like to know how’s the Half Black in terms of the criteria listed above? Thanks a lot.

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha hope someone will chime in soon. :) They were never common where I am and with the Hawaii ban don’t think we’ll be seeing them in a while. I’m literally on the other side of the world in china lol.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha hope someone will chime in soon. :) They were never common where I am and with the Hawaii ban don’t think we’ll be seeing them in a while. I’m literally on the other side of the world in china lol.
Same here, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a fishers angels until now. Oh wow, how is fish keeping over there? Selection, variety, availability? Prices??

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hobby here is maybe no more than 16-17 years old, less than the lifespan of a Clownfish. I hope it continues to grow in the future.

The selection and variety isn’t as good as the West. Atlantic species are hard to find for the most part, many aren’t found here and the only Atlantic fish that show up with some regularity are the French, Grey, Queen Angels and Royal Grammas.

Availability wise, it’s usually Clownfish (one of the few species we can get Captive Bred here), some damsels, Yellow (before the ban), Scopas, Purple and Blue Tangs, some dwarf angels (usually Coral Beauty, Rusty and Half Black are the most common), Yellow Watchman and sometimes other kinds of shrimp gobies, Lawnmower And Bicolor And sometimes Starry Blennies etc.

Prices wise, it’s a second world country overall lower. :) A common Captive Bred Ocellaris Clown costs maybe about 5.5 US. :) A Coral Beauty costs about 11.5 US, same for the Rusty, Half Blacks are a bit cheaper at maybe 8.5 US.

We sometimes get Flameback and Cherub Angels too, it’s been a long time since I last saw a Flame or Multicolor.

You’ll see lots of people here keep multiple fish in way undersized tanks, such as multiple Tangs and large angels. Hurts my eyes. There was a guy that put a Yellow, Blue, Clown and White Cheek (Japonicus) Tang all into a 55. Surprise surprise, the White Cheek And Clown got ich and wiped out everything except his original pair of Clowns. The guy couldn’t be bothered.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hobby here is maybe no more than 16-17 years old, less than the lifespan of a Clownfish. I hope it continues to grow in the future.

The selection and variety isn’t as good as the West. Atlantic species are hard to find for the most part, many aren’t found here and the only Atlantic fish that show up with some regularity are the French, Grey, Queen Angels and Royal Grammas.

Availability wise, it’s usually Clownfish (one of the few species we can get Captive Bred here), some damsels, Yellow (before the ban), Scopas, Purple and Blue Tangs, some dwarf angels (usually Coral Beauty, Rusty and Half Black are the most common), Yellow Watchman and sometimes other kinds of shrimp gobies, Lawnmower And Bicolor And sometimes Starry Blennies etc.

Prices wise, it’s a second world country overall lower. :) A common Captive Bred Ocellaris Clown costs maybe about 5.5 US. :) A Coral Beauty costs about 11.5 US, same for the Rusty, Half Blacks are a bit cheaper at maybe 8.5 US.

We sometimes get Flameback and Cherub Angels too, it’s been a long time since I last saw a Flame or Multicolor.

You’ll see lots of people here keep multiple fish in way undersized tanks, such as multiple Tangs and large angels. Hurts my eyes. There was a guy that put a Yellow, Blue, Clown and White Cheek (Japonicus) Tang all into a 55. Surprise surprise, the White Cheek And Clown got ich and wiped out everything except his original pair of Clowns. The guy couldn’t be bothered.
Prices are really cheap there, I would of expected China to be a first world country by now, pretty much taking over.

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taking over? If that’s happened under this regime, man, the world would be a scary place. America’s not perfect but if a Communist (ehem, authoritarian capitalist) regime became the new hegemon? We’re going to be in for some dark times.

But then you at look at China and large swathes of it are still dirt poor, of course they’re usually not the parts that foreigners visit. There’s a growing divide between the south and the north’s level of development, with the latter greatly exceeding the former. The country’s held together by a compromise between the political elite in the north and the more economically advanced south, but to me, as someone with southern (southwestern) heritage (I’m a Chinese-Canadian), it feels like a northern elite using brutal and tyrannical force to keep the south in line. For much of history the south was not “Chinese” if we’re talking about Han Chinese, we did our own thing and we had our own groups of people that were physically and culturally distinct from the Han culture.

We’re really a patchwork country consisting of different groups of people and sub-cultures / full regional cultures. Sure this mosaic for now, is being held together by force, but the system is ultimately not as good as they’d like to believe (or else why the need to censor everything, and why all the petty squabbles and need to prove themselves in the tiniest of spats?), and is a lot more fragile than it looks. The opaque nature of their system means that there could be a lot more cracks that we’re not even hearing about.

Population wise, educating hundreds of millions of people and bringing their understanding and reasoning skills on a lot of stuff up to modern standards is a far more monumental task than simply “lifting them out of poverty”, as the Commies love to claim. There will be a massive population decline in the coming decades, and coupled with what I mentioned about getting hundreds of millions up to par with modernity, means that the massive population will become just as much of a liability as an asset, well, at least when it comes to manufacturing power.

The nature of such authoritarian systems is, in my opinion, inherently unstable despite how well they have seemingly done so far. When they get stuff done it happens real quick, but when **** hits the fan it hits fast and hard and since there’s no way to remove them from power (not just this or that person, but the whole CCP) the people will have long suffered before it reaches a breaking point.

I’d say they’re allowed to be the way they are largely because the world has, to one degree or another, given in to them for the sake of trade and the economy. The people are largely tolerating them and the lack of liberties because of the economic growth in the last couple of decades + a healthy dose of nationalist indoctrination. However, the global environment’s turning against them as they reveal their true colors, and their growth will inevitably slow down. All the issues related to the environment, the exploration of labor, and barriers to true freedom of movement / residency will ultimately catch up to them and block their way towards becoming an innovative superpower.

In a way, they’re surviving on borrowed time, in the sense that they’re only acting this way because much of the world still allows them to out of the benefits.

I believe at this rate they’ll be on their last legs by 2040-2045. The best case scenario is liberalization before then or afterwards, and then a newly democratic China can start negotiations with Hong Kong, Taiwan etc. worst case scenario in the event of a CCP collapse is the military taking over, or some other power hungry lunatic.

My ideal scenario is sort of a Chinese EU, or a federation of independent Chinese states. Leave the Taiwan question, as well as East Turkestan, Tibet and Hong Kong etc. to referendums by their own people. If they’re willing, at least in the case of Hong Kong and Taiwan, some kind of British Commonwealth-ish arrangement can be negotiated.

As long as this current regime / a similar kind of regime is in power, we’ll never flourish as a country or as a people. Not until the land really belongs to us.

Though on a side note, ;) Can’t say I’d mind the Republic of China being back in power.

The Communists were bandits, usurpers, and always will be to me. Not saying the Nationalists were any better because they were basically the same kind of regime pre-1987 (when Taiwan had its first elections), but the difference is that iteration of the Nationalists are a thing of the past.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also not to mention that Confucian thinking, at least the greatly politicized implementation of it, is inherently oppressive and not compatible with many aspects of modernity. I’m no die-hard progressive either, but we could do SO much better if we ditched many aspects of Confucianism, especially the emphasis on seniority and hierarchies by virtue of rank / birth right. We’d be a happier people.

The whole country is still reeling from the effects of Mao’s Cultural Revolution. It destroyed the lives, yanked the humanity out of 2 generations of people and as recent as our parents’ generation the people are still suffering the effects of it. It was psychological murder (and physical) on the most massive scale in recent history, where the fundamental networks of human bonds were all turned against each other for the sake of a single man’s fantasies and delusions.

So how far have we come since? Well, the same regime is still in power and is now in the hands of another, almost equally power hungry and ambitious dictator called Winnie the Pooh.

Last edited:

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taking over? If that’s happened under this regime, man, the world would be a scary place. America’s not perfect but if a Communist (ehem, authoritarian capitalist) regime became the new hegemon? We’re going to be in for some dark times.

But then you at look at China and large swathes of it are still dirt poor, of course they’re usually not the parts that foreigners visit. There’s a growing divide between the south and the north’s level of development, with the latter greatly exceeding the former. The country’s held together by a compromise between the political elite in the north and the more economically advanced south, but to me, as someone with southern (southwestern) heritage (I’m a Chinese-Canadian), it feels like a northern elite using brutal and tyrannical force to keep the south in line. For much of history the south was not “Chinese” if we’re talking about Han Chinese, we did our own thing and we had our own groups of people that were physically and culturally distinct from the Han culture.

We’re really a patchwork country consisting of different groups of people and sub-cultures / full regional cultures. Sure this mosaic for now, is being held together by force, but the system is ultimately not as good as they’d like to believe (or else why the need to censor everything, and why all the petty squabbles and need to prove themselves in the tiniest of spats?), and is a lot more fragile than it looks. The opaque nature of their system means that there could be a lot more cracks that we’re not even hearing about.

Population wise, educating hundreds of millions of people and bringing their understanding and reasoning skills on a lot of stuff up to modern standards is a far more monumental task than simply “lifting them out of poverty”, as the Commies love to claim. There will be a massive population decline in the coming decades, and coupled with what I mentioned about getting hundreds of millions up to par with modernity, means that the massive population will become just as much of a liability as an asset, well, at least when it comes to manufacturing power.

The nature of such authoritarian systems is, in my opinion, inherently unstable despite how well they have seemingly done so far. When they get stuff done it happens real quick, but when **** hits the fan it hits fast and hard and since there’s no way to remove them from power (not just this or that person, but the whole CCP) the people will have long suffered before it reaches a breaking point.

I’d say they’re allowed to be the way they are largely because the world has, to one degree or another, given in to them for the sake of trade and the economy. The people are largely tolerating them and the lack of liberties because of the economic growth in the last couple of decades + a healthy dose of nationalist indoctrination. However, the global environment’s turning against them as they reveal their true colors, and their growth will inevitably slow down. All the issues related to the environment, the exploration of labor, and barriers to true freedom of movement / residency will ultimately catch up to them and block their way towards becoming an innovative superpower.

In a way, they’re surviving on borrowed time, in the sense that they’re only acting this way because much of the world still allows them to out of the benefits.

I believe at this rate they’ll be on their last legs by 2040-2045. The best case scenario is liberalization before then or afterwards, and then a newly democratic China can start negotiations with Hong Kong, Taiwan etc. worst case scenario in the event of a CCP collapse is the military taking over, or some other power hungry lunatic.

My ideal scenario is sort of a Chinese EU, or a federation of independent Chinese states. Leave the Taiwan question, as well as East Turkestan, Tibet and Hong Kong etc. to referendums by their own people. If they’re willing, at least in the case of Hong Kong and Taiwan, some kind of British Commonwealth-ish arrangement can be negotiated.

As long as this current regime / a similar kind of regime is in power, we’ll never flourish as a country or as a people. Not until the land really belongs to us.

Though on a side note, ;) Can’t say I’d mind the Republic of China being back in power.

The Communists were bandits, usurpers, and always will be to me. Not saying the Nationalists were any better because they were basically the same kind of regime pre-1987 (when Taiwan had its first elections), but the difference is that iteration of the Nationalists are a thing of the past.
Agree with the trade and economy, but that has made them a super power in my opinion

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 82.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back