Expert HELP needed! Mystery problem - Corals dying.... Out of ideas?!

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I will try and be as brief as possible but basically my tank is struggling and I have no idea why, I have tested everything possible with no red flags, I have removed everything that I think could have caused some sort of problems and stripped back to basics, done large water changes and I still seem to be struggling with my corals.

****I am OUT OF IDEAS - I am open to abosultley any suggestions I will try just about anything at this point as NOTHING seems to be working - I am completely lost for the first time in 6 years in this hobby, I have never experienced anything like this before...****

It all started about 6 weeks ago when I got dinos (ostreopsis) hitchhiking on a couple of corals - a 75w UV eliminated that a few weeks ago and since then I have stopped using my UV as I suspect it may have having some negative impacts as it was one designed for ponds and may have leached something as it had a stainless steel body even though I could notice and corrosion.

Since then I have started loosing corals left and right, first my sps I lost about 7-8 pieces and now some of my euphyllia are going down (retracted all the time) however some corals are going awesome like my Sarcophyton, some euphyillia's my elegance and my anenomes so its ab bit random and moving them around doesnt seem to help at all so i can almost eliminate lighting and flow. That leaves me with some sort of water chemistry problem.

I have been testing almost daily to check everything and its all been pretty consistent, there are my results as of today:

Salinity 1.024 (raising to 1.026 as it must have dropped in my last water change as i tested last week at 1.026)
Calcium 555 (Hana tests seem to always give a higher reading, I checked with redsea and it was 440)
Alk 150 (8.3 Dkh)
Phosphates 0 (were 0.1 yesterday)
Nitrates 2-3ppm
Temp 25.5 celcius
PH 8.3-8.5

About my tank:

5x3x2 - 1000litres approx, running two orphek atlantiks plus 2x kessil a360s - running approx 70% power - PAR readings around 120 on sandbed up to about 350-400 to the top of the bommie - Most LPS in the 180-200 range and SPS -250-300 range.

In the sump I am running a bubble magus auto filter roller, large duala skimmer, carbon reactor (running off return), grounding probe, poly filter, refugium with chaeto, algae turf scrubber (running off return) and return pump plus heaters.

Fish are:
Large foxface
Bluespotted rabbitfish
chromis
tomini tang
cleaner wrasse
whipfin wrasse
banana wrasse
melanurus wrasse
male laboutei wrasse
ember blenny
pyramid butterfly
coral beauty (only added 4 days ago haven't seen him touch anything yet)

+
Trochus snails
strombus snails
turbo snails
sand sifting starfish

All fish and inverts are actualy doing great no problems what so ever and coralline continues to grow like wildfire, every rock is covered and the back wall is going nuts.

I feed mainly mysis and nori plus some masstik and marine grazer every other day along with AF algae pellets on occassion (most fish dont like them for some reason)

What I have done so far:

Other than test regularly, I have done;
- a few large (200litre) water changes with no effect
- cleaned up the sandbed as it was starting to get diatoms/GHA)
- Added polyfilter to see if there was anything suspect in the water
- added a small amount of phosguard to lower phos from 0.1
- stopped dosing amino acids
- stopped adding garlic and beta glucan to food
- straining frozen foods
- removed the small pumps from the ATS and carbon reactor and plumbed to the return incase they were leaching something
- reduced flow around the LPS (even though this has never been an issue in the past)

Next step is to do a triton test to see what else is happening as there must be something in the water or leaching that I don't know about - other than that whats my next move PLEASE HELP!

Corals (the good bad and ugly)

IMG_6728.jpg
IMG_6629.jpg
IMG_6729.jpg
IMG_6730.jpg
IMG_6731.jpg
IMG_6733.jpg
IMG_6734.jpg

Testing:

IMG_6723.jpg
IMG_6724.jpg
IMG_6725.jpg
IMG_6726.PNG
IMG_6727.PNG

Tank / Sump area:
IMG_6737.jpg
IMG_6739.jpg
IMG_6741.jpg

What the tank looked like about 2 months ago

IMG_1517.jpg
IMG_1527.jpg
IMG_6732.jpg IMG_6738.jpg

Edp251

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sorry t hear. I had a similar mystery problem and the culprit turned out to be my source water. My TDS was way higher than I thought and I learned that I needed too measure TDS and change out my anionic DI resin every 90 days. Something to consider that I do not see on your list above. Best of luck!

OP
OP
Aussiemarine

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sorry t hear. I had a similar mystery problem and the culprit turned out to be my source water. My TDS was way higher than I thought and I learned that I needed too measure TDS and change out my anionic DI resin every 90 days. Something to consider that I do not see on your list above. Best of luck!

Yea sorry forgot to mention that - I checked TDS and it’s 0 I also checked after it was filled and going on the tank and it was 1 (probably residual from the air)

If you haven't already done it, do yourself a favor and get an ICP test.

Yep I’m thinking that’s my only option now. If no improvements happen over th next few days when my next order is ready to be sent next week I’ll throw one in...

OP
OP
Aussiemarine

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like it has been said you should get an icp test. The only thing that stands out to me is 0 phosphate. If it’s truly 0 that’s not good as I’m sure you’re aware. How stable is your alk?

Yeah I’m going to do that for sure.

it was 0.1 yesterday so not sure how much it fluctuates but I do have a fair bit of GHA which may be throwing my numbers off

Alk has been probably the most stable parameter, I test that every 3-4 days and its always within 145-150 ppm. I have done heaps of work to fine tune it. I dose 24 times a day 4mls per hour of my mix, to keep it super stable as I know how important it is. I consume a fair bit of alk I assume that’s why the crazy coraline growth.

AA5F4A6B-D6FF-4917-9937-2988D9D5D12F.jpeg

OP
OP
Aussiemarine

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you run your po4 at 0? I’d be keen to say nutrients starvation

As above it fluctuates - when my tank was looking good it was 0 and then when it’s been looking **** it’s been anywhere between 0 and 0.1. If I start going dirtier I just seem to get algae issues

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi 0-0.1 is a huge daily swing given you have a Roller filter, fuge, algae scrubber I would guess you need more nutrients. My corals have looked so much better with at least 0.1-0.15 po4 and 5-10 nitrates and I quit carbon dosing all together to get these numbers, just a good skimmer and slow flow uv.

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be more inclined to think there was some sort of metal or something released into the water from the uv unit. Cuprisorb from seachem works good to absorb metals. It’s probably the best imo. I’ve used it after copper in my reef but it will also absorb other heavy metals. I think I read you’re running carbon too. Good move. The problem is that the damage could be already done to the corals and no matter what you do they might not make it. But at least with an icp test youll know where you stand. .

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your system is deficient for phosphorus when you start adding it algae will respond faster than corals. (I would recommend getting Forest Rohwer's "Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas" and start with ch 5 to get an idea of what might happen in an ecosystem.) If this was my system I'd remove the ATS and try to keep the PO4 "around" 0.1 mg/l (that's not a magic number just around there). I'd would also do small weekly water changes of "around" 10% taking time to gently siphon off any rock that doesn't have coral on it. Be patient, when I fix algae problems it can take several months for the system to turn around. In addition to ROhwer's book here's some additional research papers on reef ecosystems, corals,nutrients and algae:

(Sorry for any data overload ;) )

An Experimental Mesocosm for Longterm Studies of Reef Corals

Phosphate Deficiency:
Nutrient enrichment can increase the susceptibility of reef corals to bleaching:

Ultrastructural Biomarkers in Symbiotic Algae Reflect the Availability of Dissolved Inorganic Nutrients and Particulate Food to the Reef Coral Holobiont:

Phosphate deficiency promotes coral bleaching and is reflected by the ultrastructure of symbiotic dinoflagellates

Effects of phosphate on growth and skeletal density in the scleractinian coral Acropora muricata: A controlled experimental approach

High phosphate uptake requirements of the scleractinian coral Stylophora pistillata

Indirect effects of algae on coral: algae‐mediated, microbe‐induced coral mortality
Coral seperated from algae with a .02 µm filter die. Treatment with aampicillan prevents death.

Influence of coral and algal exudates on microbially mediated reef metabolism.
Coral DOC improves oxygen (autotrophy), algae DOC reduces oxygen (heterotrophy).

Effects of Coral Reef Benthic Primary Producers on Dissolved Organic Carbon and Microbial Activity
Algae releases significantly more DOC into the water than coral.

Pathologies and mortality rates caused by organic carbon and nutrient stressors in three Caribbean coral species.
Starch and sugars (doc) caused coral death but not high nitrates, phosphates or ammonium.

Visualization of oxygen distribution patterns caused by coral and algae

Biological oxygen demand optode analysis of coral reef-associated microbial communities exposed to algal exudates
Exposure to exudates derived from turf algae stimulated higher oxygen drawdown by the coral-associated bacteria.

Microbial ecology: Algae feed a shift on coral reefs

Coral and macroalgal exudates vary in neutral sugar composition and differentially enrich reef bacterioplankton lineages.

Sugar enrichment provides evidence for a role of nitrogen fixation in coral bleaching

Elevated ammonium delays the impairment of the coral-dinoflagellate symbiosis during labile carbon pollution
(here's an argument for maintaining heavy fish loads if you're carbon dosing)

Excess labile carbon promotes the expression of virulence factors in coral reef bacterioplankton

Unseen players shape benthic competition on coral reefs.

Allelochemicals Produced by Brown Macroalgae of the Lobophora Genus Are Active against Coral Larvae and Associated Bacteria, Supporting Pathogenic Shifts to Vibrio Dominance.

Macroalgae decrease growth and alter microbial community structure of the reef-building coral, Porites astreoides.

Macroalgal extracts induce bacterial assemblage shifts and sublethal tissue stress in Caribbean corals.

Biophysical and physiological processes causing oxygen loss from coral reefs.

Global microbialization of coral reefs
DDAM Proven

Because sponges are essential players in the carbon, nitrogen and phosphorus cycle(s) on reefs here's some links to research done with them.

Element cycling on tropical coral reefs.
This is Jasper de Geoij's ground breaking research on reef sponges. (The introduction is in Dutch but the content is in English.)

Sponge symbionts and the marine P cycle

Phosphorus sequestration in the form of polyphosphate by microbial symbionts in marine sponges
(Chris Kenndall had a problem with low PO4 and had problems raising it with Neophos. Samples sent off showed phosphorus crystals developing in some of the sponges in his system accounting for at least some of his systems consumption.)

Differential recycling of coral and algal dissolved organic matter via the sponge loop.
Sponges treat DOC from algae differently than DOC from corals

Surviving in a Marine Desert The Sponge Loop Retains Resources Within Coral Reefs
Dissolved organic carbon and nitrogen are quickly processed by sponges and released back into the reef food web in hours as carbon and nitrogen rich detritus.

Natural Diet of Coral-Excavating Sponges Consists Mainly of Dissolved Organic Carbon (DOC)

The Role of Marine Sponges in Carbon and Nitrogen Cycles of COral Reefs and Nearshore Environments.

And since we're discussing favorable and not so favorable bacteria here's a paper looking at how different corals and polyps are influencing the bacteria in the water column.
Aura-biomes are present in the water layer above coral reef benthic macro-organisms

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What took your PO4 from 0.1 yesterday to 0 today? Testing error? First box to check would be to get PO4 squared away.

OP
OP
Aussiemarine

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be more inclined to think there was some sort of metal or something released into the water from the uv unit. Cuprisorb from seachem works good to absorb metals. It’s probably the best imo. I’ve used it after copper in my reef but it will also absorb other heavy metals. I think I read you’re running carbon too. Good move. The problem is that the damage could be already done to the corals and no matter what you do they might not make it. But at least with an icp test youll know where you stand. .

This was my thinking too - and although I have added the polyfilter you are right corals could have been taking a beating and are just too far gone where as some may have handled it okay and hence why they are still looking fine.

I might try cuprisorb I guess it can’t hurt and see if that removes anything.

If my ICP test comes back fine I think the only thing to do will be to just buy a co ole more corals and see how they settle in because everything new may end up being fine which is a good result in my books I’m just worried about adding anything new at this stage.

Hi 0-0.1 is a huge daily swing given you have a Roller filter, fuge, algae scrubber I would guess you need more nutrients. My corals have looked so much better with at least 0.1-0.15 po4 and 5-10 nitrates and I quit carbon dosing all together to get these numbers, just a good skimmer and slow flow uv.
What took your PO4 from 0.1 yesterday to 0 today? Testing error? First box to check would be to get PO4 squared away.

thanks guys I really want to know what my phosphates are and maybe testing with Hana just isn’t working so an ICP rest will tell me exactly and I can go from there. I did add the poly filter after that 0.1 test result and a Small amount of phosguard so that may have taken up any in the water but I’m not really confident I have 0 or 0.1 - my algae growth suggests I have higher levels.

OP
OP
Aussiemarine

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Timfish thanks for that info! I don’t have a full blown algae issue it’s mainly in the back way and a little on the pumps / sand bed but there is a fair among - most of the rocks are covered in coralline so they don’t get algae growth on them really but I usually just scrub off the little bit on the rocks to give the coralline a chance to cover the rest. I’m not too fussed about having algae on the backwall but it was getting quite long. I only have a couple of trochus (they eat this stuff like crazy) but I have a bunch more in QT so when I add them that will help

OP
OP
Aussiemarine

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you pisssed off your wife or girlfriend recently? Just something to chew on..............
LOL that’s a daily occurrence mate - but she loves the tank as much as I do. I do have two kids under 4 so thats looking suspicious ....

OP
OP
Aussiemarine

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is another thing - they always look much better during the first few hours of lights on and then look worse as the day goes on? Maybe that could indicate a lighting issue?

OP
OP
Aussiemarine

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Timfish
@Cabinetman
@Aquatican

So I received my ICP results today and it’s made me even more consumed, everything looks really good other that a little bit low calcium which wouldn’t cause these issues.

My LPS seem to do fine during the day but are retracted but early afternoon. My lights don’t turn on until 10am and off by 9pm so 11 hours total but 2 of those hours are pretty much blues only so I dont think it’s a lighting problem.

Any other ideas here?

011B7BC8-1F30-4260-A340-7E5EDFF1CAFC.png
043E8C97-DBD2-44F9-B617-553A700D0CD8.png
09A6E9E8-7D3D-4750-B57F-B30625FB1296.png

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like Cell said I'm thinking your PO4 may be the issue. Besides corals there's all kinds of stuff messing with it. Last year one of the local reefers seems to have had a similar problem with PO4 dropping really fast whenever it was dosed. You might check it's being consumed by dosing and testing everyday for a few days. We were able to find somebody to look at some of sponge samples from his tank and there were phosphorus crystals forming in the tissue with in a day of dosing. We don't think think that the sponges came anywhere close to sequestering all the phosphate that was being added to his system as there's lots of other stuff going on like biofilms and fungii and so on but it was a good example of how fast the biology in the system can change the chemistry.

OP
OP
Aussiemarine

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like Cell said I'm thinking your PO4 may be the issue. Besides corals there's all kinds of stuff messing with it. Last year one of the local reefers seems to have had a similar problem with PO4 dropping really fast whenever it was dosed. You might check it's being consumed by dosing and testing everyday for a few days. We were able to find somebody to look at some of sponge samples from his tank and there were phosphorus crystals forming in the tissue with in a day of dosing. We don't think think that the sponges came anywhere close to sequestering all the phosphate that was being added to his system as there's lots of other stuff going on like biofilms and fungii and so on but it was a good example of how fast the biology in the system can change the chemistry.

Thanks as in its to low or to high? Test is usually around 0.01 - that’s what the triton test came back with to. I thought a small amount like Th at was ideal?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back