"Expert Only Fish: Not as hard as you might think" by Matt Wandell | Tips for fish that are considered expert only in the hobby

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt Wandell (some may already know who he is) from the Monterey Bay Aquarium (former Steinhart / California Academy) recently did a talk on Fish that are considered "Expert Only" in the hobby. Whether it's Feeding, Hardiness, etc, There's a lot of good tips in here that I personally found helpful for future builds and species and I thought that it would be helpful to share here as well. Some species he goes over are Purple Queen Anthias, Garden Eels, Copperband Butterfly, and Moorish Idol for the more popular species that are more frequently attempted

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt, wombat from back in the day 2001, is a reefing Jedi. Kind man, super nice and a true reef and fisheries scientist

Ive always thought he was a top tier reefer. Checking it out now thanks for posting

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah no worries! I think his suspension about the Moorish Idol where you need to build the tank stocking around it is true in my opinion too. At the Seattle Aquarium, we've had a Moorish idol for I think like 4 or 5 years in the big SPS Reef and the next biggest fish to it is a Yellow Tang, there's no other fish in there the Moorish Idol really competes with and it's been thriving for all this time. Definitely something to consider

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back