What attracts us most to the marine hobby ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its safe to say it's Not the cost of marine keeping that attracts us to this unique and wonderful hobby? Is it the LFS that has wonderful employees? Is it the challenge?
In reality, most people are and were intrigued by the colored fish which has a visual impact with various pigments that leave us both speechless and lead to desire to own such fish often triggering decision for stocking a tank whether now or in the future. In essence we are attracted to a certain fish(es) based on good looks, same as what attracts us to our significant other.
It seems the most striking fish are either non-reef safe or aggressive but we still maintain the desire to have such a fish. Puffers evolved as one of the favorites especially after the movie "ET" and because many hope to see them Puff up. Clowns and Hepatus in part due to both cost/color and the Movie " Finding Nemo", Triggers because of the unique fin motion and coloration- there really isnt a trigger that is dull and lionfish that look graceful but can swallow smaller fish and sting you..
With beautiful colors , comes a risk. Red Coris wrasse being one of the most vibrant constantly flip over frags and rocks, hawkfish that hang out in coral and irritate them, dwarf angels that will nip when you least expect it and clowns that will bite you without a second's notice.
While falling with colors, we must consider behavioral issues such as fin nipping, historical aggression, fighting and even jumping. Last to consider is diet. Do the fish we fall in love with eat readily in captivity, are they difficult to feed, are they expert level only and even are they fish that eat so much that we cannot afford to feed them such as some groupers and lionfish. Also consider the risks with many fish with shrimps, snails and other inverts.

What fish attracted you to the hobby?
Do you own this fish or owned it at one time?

Marine Angels, mainly Atlantic species was my attraction followed by Lionfish.
My first big tank was a 125 gallon which had French, grey, queen angel along with 3 porkfish, a high hat grunt and panther grouper.

FMF0331

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BIO LIFE.jpg
purple.jpg

First time I walked into the pet store a purple pseudochromis caught my attention. I was hooked.
30 minutes later I was walking out of the store with a 55 gallon tank / stand and the above filter. I no longer have the filter or the purple pseudochromis

I now have this :
cool reef.jpg

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always loved the colors, and the fact that we're able to grow a complete biome from nothing. In my time I've always loved getting small frags, and watching them grow into their environment in their own way, but with some help from me and my placement.

I always loved the fish too! Flasher wrasses, golden maroon clowns, mandarins, electric blue damsels, pipefish, lawnmower blenny's cardinal fish, flame angels and coral beauties!

But above all else it's the corals, and being able to take a stock tank, and make it uniquely mine over the years!

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it's fascinating and challenging to build and maintain an ecological system that only exists naturally in specific parts of the world and it's in my house. I'm still amazed at times when I'm just looking at my tanks. The time and money it takes is certainly a commitment but is totally worth it.

I don't think I could not have a tank at this point. Having 2 would seem to be enough but I'm already planning the biggest one yet and will keep both of my current tanks running. Pretty sure it's an addiction now. :oops:

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy right here.
This was my inspiration for having a marine tank.
Plus I just loved the equipment and how it smelled. Came home from college and my buddy had a 100 gallon going and I was hooked immediately.
images.jpeg

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The fish/inverts and the tech. Honestly never been obsessed or feel the need to get every coral I see. I do like coral but I like the fish and inverts more since they have their own personalities and interact. Whereas a coral is like a painting to me lol it’s beautiful and admirable but I’d never go spending hundreds to thousands or more to have my house covered in art.

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a weirdo. I mainly keep fish to help feed the corals and I'm much more into the corals and invertebrates than the fish. I love my fish, but I wouldn't keep a tank just to keep fish, if that makes sense.

I grew up on a farm and have always enjoyed growing things. My tank is an underwater garden to me. I geek out over water parameters like soil tests and I try to cultivate a healthy, thriving environment like a garden. Gardens also are interdependent ecosystems that thrive best when everything is kept in balance. It's when something is out of balance that disease and pests creep in. I like being the person who tends that balance, nurturing life from chaos.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chemistry, microbiology, symbiosis, and unique animals were the absolute main reasons for me.

It's the only hobby I have ever come accross where I get to use some chemistry knowledge, or where the microbiology plays such an active role.
+1. Took the words out of my mouth. I also would add the great DIY aspect.

musaabi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My fascination started when I was a kid, always dreamt of being a marine biologist. Swim team captain, first job as a lifeguard, my second job was in the navy. I became scuba certified at 16 and went diving in a few places. Kinda broke my heart seeing so many dead reefs. My older brother got in the hobby maybe 11 years ago but he did it for his kids(finding Nemo) but that peaked my interest. Saw some other tanks then one day I was looking at a blank space on my wall and thought how awesome it would be to have something there. Went to the LFS and bought a tank and have been involved since. Relocated a couple of times, and tanks been sitting in the basement neglected as I did some renovations. Out of sight out of mind. Just finished most of the renovation work and moved the tank to the main floor. it’s so peaceful watching the tank, the knowledge of learning about different organisms and the challenge of keeping a thriving eco system all go into play. Not to mention it’s a unique hobby and always get reactions from ppl who come over.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are friends, not food! I have zero friends so fish is all I got! They are super great listeners, don't talk trash, don't pee and poop on my brand new marble floor, respectful (except the Power Brown that I want to kill), ahem... yeah, fish are friends, not food...

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was always fascinated by reef life, came into the hobby for the fish ,but i dont think i could have a tank without coral! i always thought it would be cool to have a chunk of river, lake, and ocean in my house

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 52 74.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back