Expired Salifert Phosphate Test

tnc112105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just realized my kit expired several months ago. Can I trust the results?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's expired I wouldn't trust it. Although it is just a phosphate kit. If it was alk or calcium i'd definitely steer clear. If it was a couple weeks you could probably continue to use it, but several months i'd just get a new one :)

OP
OP
tnc112105

tnc112105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I kind of already knew the answer to that one.

Just wondering if anyone is aware of what the reagents are in the kit and how stable they are. At my workplace, there are expiration dates on the reagent grade water, so...

I guess I can use this as an excuse to finally get a Hanna checker!

Hubert J. Farnsworth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for comparison, i found and tested some PO4 reagent envelopes for my hanna checker that expired in 2016 and they yield the same results as my unexpired reagent.

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if anyone is aware of what the reagents are in the kit and how stable they are.
Many phosphate test kits use a liquid reagent containing ammonium heptamolybdate in strong acid solution (usually sulfuric, sometimes hydrochloric) and another crystalline/powdered reagent that is ascorbic acid. These ones always produce a blue color (perhaps pale yellow at the lowest PO4 concentration), with the intensity being correlated with the phosphate concentration. In my experience, they are remarkably stable when stored in the dark at room temperature.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found an old Salifert Phosphate test that expired in 2018. I ran a couple of tests with it along side a brand new AquaForest Phosphate test.

The results, according to my eye, were the same. I don't trust my eyes and often use the colour comparison feature of the Aquarium Notes app. Using the app, the results were close enough to being the same.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here one that expired in 2016 I still use it. Its the same blue as a hanna checker.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just realized my kit expired several months ago. Can I trust the results?
If you had a standard to test, you would not have to rely on the expiration date. You might find kits last a long time.

SuperDodge

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tested this last week. I pulled out two old Salifert kits that were 3 years out of date. The Salifert phosphate kit appears to be good compared to my Hanna Checker.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here one that expired in 2016 I still use it. Its the same blue as a hanna checker.

The N95 mask I've been wearing to bring food to my daughter in quarantine (coming back from Australia when her semester of study abroad was cancelled mid term) expired in 2005. Hope the pores have not opened up too much. lol

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for comparison, i found and tested some PO4 reagent envelopes for my hanna checker that expired in 2016 and they yield the same results as my unexpired reagent.

Still using my 2016 Red Sea. I should increase my testing and use it up faster so the new bottles don't expire as well

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The N95 mask I've been wearing to bring food to my daughter in quarantine (coming back from Australia when her semester of study abroad was cancelled mid term) expired in 2005. Hope the pores have not opened up too much. lol
Lol id be worried about that. But something is better than nothing? I should clarify i dont use it for a precise reading like i do with the Hanna checker, but just to see if po4 register's or not so im not starving things.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 20 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.9%
Back