Explain what I'm looking for!

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so i see all these components for i guess controllers. What exactly would i need to check my ALK,mag,cal. Does the controller check the everything or is it the triangle thing lol with the reagents. I'm sorry I'm a bit lost. What's the controller do that the triangle thing doesn't.
Screenshot_20210927-230718.png

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The controller is the brains of the operation. It has 4 probes (salt/orp/ph/temp) and a smart energy bar to control all your plug ins. The triangle thing (trident) is an accessory to the brain that does automatic tests for you and then let’s you know results via the controller.

OP
OP
Heres_doe_

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The controller is the brains of the operation. It has 4 probes (salt/orp/ph/temp) and a smart energy bar to control all your plug ins. The triangle thing (trident) is an accessory to the brain that does automatic tests for you and then let’s you know results via the controller.
Ok so i just want to start simple so i need a controller obviously and i want to measure ALK,mag and cal so i would get a Trident also. This is all wifi Compatible I'm assuming!? Do i need that power bar or can it just hook up like any other electrical into a regular socket?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at my Apex Hardware Overview article for brief descriptions of every module:

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so i just want to start simple so i need a controller obviously and i want to measure ALK,mag and cal so i would get a Trident also. This is all wifi Compatible I'm assuming!? Do i need that power bar or can it just hook up like any other electrical into a regular socket?
The power bar is mainly to hook up your aquarium for automation. For example I have the full Neptune setup and it controls temp, dosing, return, skimmer, water changes, light schedules, refugium. If you just want a Neptune to ONLY check your levels, you could get the less expensive APEX EL controller, and a triton, with no energy bar. Most folks (in my experience) buy setups like this for automation purposes but yes, you could use one just for the trident. They are all WiFi, have alarms if you want to set them up, and you can view what’s happening in real time anywhere you have service.

OP
OP
Heres_doe_

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at my Apex Hardware Overview article for brief descriptions of every module:

Just read all this. This is perfect this should be pinned up or something if it isn't.

OP
OP
Heres_doe_

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The power bar is mainly to hook up your aquarium for automation. For example I have the full Neptune setup and it controls temp, dosing, return, skimmer, water changes, light schedules, refugium. If you just want a Neptune to ONLY check your levels, you could get the less expensive APEX EL controller, and a triton, with no energy bar. Most folks (in my experience) buy setups like this for automation purposes but yes, you could use one just for the trident. They are all WiFi, have alarms if you want to set them up, and you can view what’s happening in real time anywhere you have service.
Yes for now i just don't want to check anything i want to look at things with a glance and know they're good. I work about 13 minutes from home and work for myself so i have nothing but time and can always come home. I just want to save time on checking parameters. Then with time I'll get more other components to it.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get the Apex and Trident, I'd strongly reccomend getting a Dos as well if you are dosing 2 part. You can set it up to where the Dos can adjust your dosage to keep parameters where you want them based upon the trident readings. It isn't perfect but it does help.

Delloman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get dos after tank is up and running and Cycle is done I recommend getting the energy bar it will be useful and the apex had gotten so much easier to setup and program.

OP
OP
Heres_doe_

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get the Apex and Trident, I'd strongly reccomend getting a Dos as well if you are dosing 2 part. You can set it up to where the Dos can adjust your dosage to keep parameters where you want them based upon the trident readings. It isn't perfect but it does help.
I'm currently hand dosing 3.5 ml every other day of alk. Cal stays good unless i don't water change that week.It's def on my list to get a doser but for now not really concerned about it. But it will def help.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't you just get a Hanna tester for the alkalinity and calcium. I use them and have no problem. I use tritiation test kit for magneisum. I check them every Sunday. Not sure you would need to check them more ofter unless it would be alkalinity. I would get the testers even with automated system as a backup. It is always best to double check a reading that seems off before reacting anyway. Most controllers will test only pH, temp, ORP and salinity if they do all of them. Anything else will be an add on to the controller. There are several out there most will work with other controllers. I think the Trident will require an Apex to work though.

OP
OP
Heres_doe_

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Why don't you just get a Hanna tester for the alkalinity and calcium. I use them and have no problem. I use tritiation test kit for magneisum. I check them every Sunday. Not sure you would need to check them more ofter unless it would be alkalinity. I would get the testers even with automated system as a backup. It is always best to double check a reading that seems off before reacting anyway. Most controllers will test only pH, temp, ORP and salinity if they do all of them. Anything else will be an add on to the controller. There are several out there most will work with other controllers. I think the Trident will require an Apex to work though.
I got Hanna checkers but i don't want to test every few days tbh i wanna look at my phone and be like oh it's where it's gotta be at instead of ok let me take these 6 minutes or so to test for this ALK just to see if i should dose.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got Hanna checkers but i don't want to test every few days tbh i wanna look at my phone and be like oh it's where it's gotta be at instead of ok let me take these 6 minutes or so to test for this ALK just to see if i should dose.

There is the Alkatronic that does Alkalinity. I think you can use it stand alone if you want. If you do get a controller later it can be hooked to it via a pH port. It will hook to a Hydros controller via the WEB. I am not sure how many test it will do in a day. It is something that can be programmed. The more you do though the more it will cost.

Back