Exploded Zoa polyp

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

New to Zoas. I have a frag of Fire& Ice that is filling out nicely, but one side of the plug is being dominated by an “exploded” polyp. It used to be normal, but instead of shrinking or bleaching, it sort of melted only in the middle. It still has its arms and looks more like aptasia.

It is safe to cut it off with a razor blade? Does this forum have a newbie fragging guide?

Sorry no time for pix at the moment

OP
OP
chadfish

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks,

Is what I’m describing “normal”?

Does this happen from time to time?

jtp7004ft

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks,

Is what I’m describing “normal”?

Does this happen from time to time?
There are a lot of Zoa experts on this site...... I am not one of them :) I have never had that issue. I'm sure someone will chime in soon with some help..

OP
OP
chadfish

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Exploded”? If you have time to grab a pic, that’d be helpful. You said like an aptasia, so is the center disk lower than the tentacles or is it completely gone?
Yes, the center of the disk is gone but the arms are still there. I feel like it exhibits feeding behavior too. It’s gotta go, it’s taking up the whole side of the frag disk. Everything else is growing and filling out.

Just had lights out on the tank so will post pix tomorrow. Any help will be appreciated. Also I’ll read up on fragging

OP
OP
chadfish

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Exploded”? If you have time to grab a pic, that’d be helpful. You said like an aptasia, so is the center disk lower than the tentacles or is it completely gone?

I swear this used to be a Zoa polyp. If you look closely, you can still see the white sparkles in the center like the others. It’s still alive and eats when I feed zooplankton. He’s now way too big and I’m afraid I’m wrong and it’s actually aiptasia.

OP
OP
chadfish

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like aptasia to me. Get rid of that thing stat. Do you happen to dip your coral in anything prior to putting them in your tank?

Yes I dipped in ReVive for 10-15 min.

Why would aiptsia have the same white markings as the fire&ice tho?

Either was it’s coming out tomorrow morning.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely an aptasia, not a zoa :(

I would try to scrape it out with a razor blade then do an H2O2 dip to try to kill it. Good luck

OP
OP
chadfish

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I attempted to frag off the offending polyp. I cut it from the colony and broke the disk where it was living. I then used H2O2 on a cotton swab to disinfect all around the area and underneath the frag (between the frag and the plug) and all around. I then superglued the area to try to contain any stray biological material.
Then an iodine dip to disinfect
Then a ReVive dip
Then a tank water wash and observe
Then back in the tank

My QT is for fish and has copper, so I couldn’t observe it for long.

Here’s hoping I didn’t make it worse

Thanks for your help everyone

Back