My new project

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All!
I wanted to start a “build” thread to track ( and share) progress on my new 13.5 Fluval “Evo” nano build.
I received and set it up on Sept 28th. It’s been up and running since with 15lbs of CaribSea live sand. This past Saturday, I bought 20lbs of beautiful live rock from a very nice shop in Nashville.
I modified the filter to accept a larger quantity of bio matter for more surface area, running a 50 watt heater which seems to keep things at a steady 77.8*. I’m going to continue to let the setup cycle for another week before adding any livestock. Should be a fun project.
2841C59D-79BB-4475-998F-DD63EB4B8330.jpeg

OP
OP
Mike from TN

Mike from TN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn’t really find a stand that I liked so I purchased a pre finished kitchen cabinet from Lowe’s and reinforced it to support the weight of the tank. Made a top from side glued pine and clear coated it.
B185E1BF-8818-4003-9158-6C7EE0E082E3.jpeg

OP
OP
Mike from TN

Mike from TN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon Folks!
As I mentioned in my intro, I’ve been out of this for quite a while.
System is up and running and I’m getting antsy to get something in there. My plan for the future is just a pair of Clowns, a small sand sifter, some assorted mushrooms to “fill in” over time and a cleanup crew.
I plan on adding one “Main Attraction “ coral down the road. I’ve had good luck in the past with Frogspawn and Hammer. Neither one were ever negatively impacted by my Clowns and the fish enjoyed “attempting” to host them.
My current setup is much, much smaller but I now have ample time on my hands to devote to it.
Am I being unrealistic thinking I could keep such a showpiece in such a small system.
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Mike

OP
OP
Mike from TN

Mike from TN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms already! ;Nailbiting
Noticing a little brown tinge to my beautiful live rock, YIKES! I know it’s normal but, we’ll, YUCK!
Changed 1.5 gallons, cranked up the skimmer and I think I’m going “blackout” for a few days. No livestock in the tank yet so I’m not concerned about going dark. Sea water is store bought from a very reputable store.

OP
OP
Mike from TN

Mike from TN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna take your advice and just run the lights. I did do a partial water change already though. I’ll pick up a cleaning crew this weekend when I go for my first livestock (clowns and maybe a frag of some sort).
Thank You for the advice, much appreciated! :)

OP
OP
Mike from TN

Mike from TN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon Reefers!
Since it’s been many years since my last reef setup, I have a question for Y’all.
What seems to be the “go to” brand of coral dip these days? Seems like there are a lot of them out there to chose from now.

OP
OP
Mike from TN

Mike from TN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO/DI unit “out for delivery” today! WAHOOO!
The plan for tomorrow is to hit the “Aquatic Critter” in the morning for a pair of clowns and some frags.
Today is like Christmas Eve, probably lose sleep tonite. ;Yawn

OP
OP
Mike from TN

Mike from TN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO Buddie +DI showed up today. I’m going to mount it in the laundry room. I can tap the feed line into the cold water feed for the washing machine ( with its own shut off valve) and run the waste water line into the drain for the washer. Looks like a good Sunday afternoon project.
345099BE-516F-4CFC-B72C-5F0C8DE37292.jpeg

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon Reefers!
Since it’s been many years since my last reef setup, I have a question for Y’all.
What seems to be the “go to” brand of coral dip these days? Seems like there are a lot of them out there to chose from now.
I am using Coral RX for dipping and have had good results.

OP
OP
Mike from TN

Mike from TN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to Lowe’s last night to get all the pieces to hook the RO Buddie into the line for the washing machine supply. I thought I scored but when I got home and unpackaged everything, it turns out the threads on the two pieces have a different pitch. ;Nailbiting Not going to work!
I had a brainstorm to just use a garden hose splitter with independent shutoff valves. Visited my favorite place (Amazon) this morning and after reading about a gazillion reviews, I ordered the best one I could find that “shouldn’t” leak.
We live way out in the sticks so much of my shopping comes from Amazon.
Also threw a pair of grounding probes into the cart. One for my tank and one for my Wife’s Betta tank.

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon Reefers!
I use the blue bottle Bayer insect dip!

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 50.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back