OP
Mike from TN

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up some beautiful corals this morning. A nice medium sized Frogspawn ( 13 heads ) and a really nice Zoa. Both have been dipped, acclimated and are at home in the tank. I’ll post up some pix as soon as they open up.

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up some beautiful corals this morning. A nice medium sized Frogspawn ( 13 heads ) and a really nice Zoa. Both have been dipped, acclimated and are at home in the tank. I’ll post up some pix as soon as they open up.
Nice!!! Pics or it didn’t happen

OP
OP
Mike from TN

Mike from TN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frog is opening nicely. A little slower that I’d like but it’s doing its thing. Sorry for poor picture quality. Using my iPad!
57C509BE-D89E-45A7-8BA3-C2D590A925E5.jpeg

OP
OP
Mike from TN

Mike from TN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suck at math!!!
Now that the RO/DI unit is up and running, I’ll be making my own water for water changes.
My question to the more experienced reefers here is, has anyone used this salt and how many cups of dry salt to 5 gallons of RO/DI to get me in the ballpark? I’d rather mix to a slightly high SG and dilute down than mix to a lower SG and have to dissolve more salt to get it where I need it.
This is the label. Just need it in the ballpark and I can work from there.
Thanks in advance for any help!
E2E760C7-C51C-4CAF-9DAC-D9E704CE762A.jpeg

OP
OP
Mike from TN

Mike from TN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I’m thinking this little Fluval skimmer is more trouble than it’s worth. Been fiddling with it since day one and really can’t seem to get it dialed in. I think I’m just going to remove it and use that chamber for additional filter media.
Also plugged the hole in the false wall today. I cut a piece of 1/8” Lexan the size of the chamber and inserted it between the false wall and the media basket.

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I’m thinking this little Fluval skimmer is more trouble than it’s worth. Been fiddling with it since day one and really can’t seem to get it dialed in. I think I’m just going to remove it and use that chamber for additional filter media.
Also plugged the hole in the false wall today. I cut a piece of 1/8” Lexan the size of the chamber and inserted it between the false wall and the media basket.
Ive heard of many people having trouble with their skimmer in the past. If ur nutrients are too high in the future it might be worth an upgrade but for now no skimmer is just fine

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tank has been running roughly 15 days and you have fish and coral already ?
Its likely not halfwat into cycling. Also, plan on replacing that platic hydrometer with a refractometer for more accurate results and I also see API test kits which have let many people down.
Not trying to break up the excitement but honestly, you have stocked about a month too soon and are using components intended to just get you by with tank being properly cycled.
reefing is a far cry difference from Freshwater setup and I we are here to see you succeed.

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suck at math!!!
Now that the RO/DI unit is up and running, I’ll be making my own water for water changes.
My question to the more experienced reefers here is, has anyone used this salt and how many cups of dry salt to 5 gallons of RO/DI to get me in the ballpark? I’d rather mix to a slightly high SG and dilute down than mix to a lower SG and have to dissolve more salt to get it where I need it.
This is the label. Just need it in the ballpark and I can work from there.
Thanks in advance for any help!
E2E760C7-C51C-4CAF-9DAC-D9E704CE762A.jpeg
I would buy a refractometer instead. Every bucket is going to be slightly different in composition and with such a small tank, even little differences in SW will cause big issues...

OP
OP
Mike from TN

Mike from TN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would buy a refractometer instead. Every bucket is going to be slightly different in composition and with such a small tank, even little differences in SW will cause big issues...
Totally understood. The reason I was asking about the dilution is that it’s not stated on the bucket. I’m just back into reefing after many,MANY years. Back in the day,I used Instant Ocean. Many things have changed since my last reef setup.
Like I was saying on my other post, I just needed a number of cups of mix per five gallons of water to get me in the ballpark. I would adjust from there. Doing some searching around, I got my answer 1/2 cup/gallon.
This is strictly a budget build and I do understand we are dealing with living creatures here. Health issues have forced me into an early retirement and this takes up the time nicely. I most likely will invest in a refractometer although I’ve used a swing arm for ever and it never let me down.

gabrielw94106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Gabriel! I really looking forward to getting it. Are you running the same one, from InTank?
I am ,I got it a few weeks ago and I can already tell a difference. I run mine with: filter floss, chemipure blue, and seachem purigen with marine pure gems in the 2nd chamber. Works wonders and everything is happy

OP
OP
Mike from TN

Mike from TN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s great to hear. I was a little worried about attempting a Nano after being out of the hobby for 10+ years. This is quickly turning into a fun little project. I have lots of (retired) time on my hands. Every morning while my coffee is brewing, I do a 1 gallon water change. LOL!

gabrielw94106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s great to hear. I was a little worried about attempting a Nano after being out of the hobby for 10+ years. This is quickly turning into a fun little project. I have lots of (retired) time on my hands. Every morning while my coffee is brewing, I do a 1 gallon water change. LOL!
Great to hear you’re enjoying it! Im looking forward to further updates on the tank!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back