Water in reef light buttons

Baldyreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 26, 2025
Messages
1,017
Reaction score
973
Location
Rancho Cucamonga
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
water somehow got into the buttons of my nicrew navareef 65 I noticed after it randomly shut off and I pressed the power and realized there was water, I unplugged it immediately, so far I’ve dabbed the components with distilled water and isopropyl alcohol multiple times and dried with a paper towel right now it’s sitting on my counter to make sure it dries off completely, earlier after completely cleaning it I plugged it in again and it turned on fine but the buttons are all messed up the intensity buttons change modes as does the power button, is it messed up beyond all return? Ideas to get it working?
Thanks in advance
 
I'm not an expert with electrical stuff like this, and I don't encourage anyone to take chances with electricity. If in doubt, either replace it or take it to a qualified repair shop.

But, basically what you did with the distilled water and isopropyl is the right way to go. Now just much sure it's totally dry before turning it back on again. I might hit it with a hair dryer on low to speed up the drying, but not so hot to damage the electronics.

Good luck and be safe!
 
Sounds like there may still be a little moisture trapped inside. I’d leave it unplugged for a while longer and let it dry completely before trying it again. Hopefully it’s just temporary and nothing got damaged
 
Sounds like there may still be a little moisture trapped inside. I’d leave it unplugged for a while longer and let it dry completely before trying it again. Hopefully it’s just temporary and nothing got damaged
Yeah I’m thinking about maybe buying their controller as I read it can override the buttons it seems like the light works it’s self but the controls are bad
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new