Mike from TN

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning Reefers!
Spent part of the morning setting up, flushing and leak testing the RO Buddie.
Now I’m waiting on parts to permanently plumb it into the feed line for the washing machine and then I can secure the “feed” line to the wall.
I know I have some of those Velcro cord securing straps somewhere. I can use one of those to coil up the filtered water line when the unit is not being used.
E624900E-607F-4F18-84F8-BEDC3EA59DD4.jpeg

OP
OP
Mike from TN

Mike from TN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little more tinkering today!
I made an “anti fish suicide” cover for the huge gaping hole that Fluval left in the tank lid. Next trip out to the barn I’ll bring it out there and drill a hole big enough for the feeding/dosing syringe to fit through.
CD60EBDC-1749-4739-967B-ABE2AD20D80B.jpeg

OP
OP
Mike from TN

Mike from TN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the tinkering continues. With the skimmer that is made for the little Fluval Evo, the collection cup is just out there for “all the world to see”! Didn’t like that so I vinyl wrapped three sides of the square cup leaving one side uncovered so I can monitor the level. Looks much better now.
I think my wife can tell I’m getting antsy. She asked me this morning if I want to go to the fish store in Nashville this weekend and look at frags. Well, DUH! Yeah I do!
15E27076-3527-49A4-8F67-6076F37F52F7.jpeg

OP
OP
Mike from TN

Mike from TN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird problem this morning but I got it solved.
I got up late this morning and the tank lights were already on. Water looked cloudy so first thing I did was check for dead livestock. All was okay so I tested all parameters and everything looked okay there also.
Checked the skimmer and it too was working normally.
Where the heck are all the micro bubbles coming from????
The water level was down just enough that the wave maker was sucking in a little vortex of air creating the fine bubbles.
I moved the wave maker down about an inch lower than the water surface and it immediately started to clear up.

OP
OP
Mike from TN

Mike from TN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First step in mounting the new lighting was to modify the tank cover. I didn’t want the light mounted high above the tank. I wanted it as low as possible to keep the light spread to a minimum so it doesn’t light up the whole room, just the tank. I cut the cover so the light fixture can sit into a recess. Once I get the new hole in the lid cleaned up, I’ll add stops to keep the light fixture from moving but it will still be easily removable.
A8BC4EDE-C8C2-4B59-B814-DA1823EF58AF.jpeg

OP
OP
Mike from TN

Mike from TN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about no top but I’ve had fish take a “flying leap” in the past. We also have 3 cats, one of which is very inquisitive. He sit on the arm of the chair watching ( and probably problem solving ). It’s only a matter of time before I wake up in the morning to a flood and a wet cat. LOL!

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about no top but I’ve had fish take a “flying leap” in the past. We also have 3 cats, one of which is very inquisitive. He sit on the arm of the chair watching ( and probably problem solving ). It’s only a matter of time before I wake up in the morning to a flood and a wet cat. LOL!
Makes sense! Personally I just like having my light higher for better spread and performance but if that works for you that’s awesome and easy way to get it done!

OP
OP
Mike from TN

Mike from TN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Brett!
I got the holes drilled and tapped for the stops and cleaned up all the cuts in the plastic. Mounted the controller and it’s all programmed.
Blues on at 0500, days start to ramp up at 1100, days ramp down at 1700 and blues off at 2200 hours ( the clock is in military time ).
Now I’m just waiting for it to do its thing!
933A4460-36F9-472C-9858-8EFBF5EB4EE5.jpeg

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Brett!
I got the holes drilled and tapped for the stops and cleaned up all the cuts in the plastic. Mounted the controller and it’s all programmed.
Blues on at 0500, days start to ramp up at 1100, days ramp down at 1700 and blues off at 2200 hours ( the clock is in military time ).
Now I’m just waiting for it to do its thing!
933A4460-36F9-472C-9858-8EFBF5EB4EE5.jpeg
I didn’t even realize that it was military time till you said that lol! I’m a pilot so all of it is in 24hr formal and in Zulu time
Also love what you did with ur mini control board here’s a tip. Drill a hole thru the board for the wire it’ll make a huge difference ;)

OP
OP
Mike from TN

Mike from TN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn’t help myself. I adjusted the program to start ramping down the daylights at 1500hrs from 1700hrs so I could witness it happening.
Slowly but surely, the days are dimming down. Once it full changes over, I’ll reset it. Need to get my photoperiod dialed in. Picking up some corals tomorrow. Either a Frogspawn “centerpiece“ or a few frags. Depends on what catches my eye.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back