EXT 112 Lagoon (my 32g is just too small)

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulled the trigger and ordered an IM EXT 112 Lagoon complete Reef in white. (Tank,stand,sump). Location will be the centerpiece for wrap around stairs with no ceiling. The windows produce no direct sunlight to the area. Space is 36x72 plus foyer. (The 150 I felt was too much weight)

Will brace floor underneath with Tiger Jack stands x 2. Though I would like to ask people that under this is a 2x6 wall in the same shape that has 3 2x12s supporting the floor and 3 2x12s at the front. How should I brace the floor for 2000lbs? Would a 4x4 crossing the joists at say 4 feet apart of center with a Jack stand that supports 10k lbs under each be enough or should there be 4 jacks to support each corner?

I would appreciate lighting thoughts for fish only. Though wifi connected would be nice.
Also need skimmer recommends that will fit in the 9” sump cutout.
I was already recommended Tunze ATO.
Don’t think I need dosing automation.

Thinking Marco rock and create neg space. Have plenty of time.

IMG_8831.jpeg IMG_8832.jpeg IMG_8834.jpeg IMG_8831.jpeg IMG_8832.jpeg

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m thinking to add another 2x12 (blue) to catch the end of a 4x4 (red) and extend across 2 joists and a main beam (3 nailed 2x12s). One edge of the tank (yellow) would cross over that main beam. Then Jack stands (green) to try and distribute the weight evenly over the other 2 joists. Is this over kill? This wall was really built to support the stairs.

Attachments

• IMG_8833.jpeg
    IMG_8833.jpeg
    191.9 KB · Views: 39

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Sweet! Congrats on new purchase! im looking for a second tank right now and Innovative Marine i'm all over ... hopefully i find one

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet! Congrats on new purchase! im looking for a second tank right now and Innovative Marine i'm all over ... hopefully i find one
they are on sale right now ;-) that's why I went for it. Kept looking at the Red Sea reefers but that's just too big a price jump for a potential seam fail that many are experiencing.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so while waiting for my tank, I'm looking at filtration and ATO, lights.
My thoughts were:
15 gal IM Hydrofill ATO tank and the Tunze 3155 Osmolator ATO.
ReefMat 500. Will this fit in the RFS27 IM sump?
Will a skimmer RedSea600 fit as well?
lighting - Radio XR30 G6 Blue? or Pro? Due to the overflow location in the center, would it be better to get 2 XR15's?
this is fish only so don't think I need dosing pumps.
Am I missing anything or other things I need to consider?
Has anyone found a good jump screen? IM only makes 24" wide and doesn't accommodate the 36".
I don't plan to do corals but the radions at least gives the option later without having to upgrade.
people convinced me to opt out of the RedSea Reefers due to frequent seam failures.

The Roaming Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congrats on the new tank! The Tank comes with a pre made mesh top to keep the fish in. I have my 112 lit with a single xr30 g6 and it’s plenty for my zoa/shroom/LPS.
I don’t believe the reefmat will fit the IM sump. They’re not really made to accommodate filter rollers of any kind

The Roaming Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also, as long as those are min 2x10 floor joists, you shouldn’t need additional support. That’s under an 8 foot span between the two walls and your tank is spanning 2 joists plus that triple.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, as long as those are min 2x10 floor joists, you shouldn’t need additional support. That’s under an 8 foot span between the two walls and your tank is spanning 2 joists plus that triple.
thanks. I did already stiffen the joists. a sister, 4 spanners to keep from bowing and then a 4x4 across 48". Have 2 jack posts already but was considering more. I'm just concerned since this is with the stairs. I'd closet it in but want to keep it open. who knows maybe in the future I'll run a pipe through the floor and place the sump in the basement. just do the water change in the sump only. Could drain it into the basement sump pumping it outside. no basement heat so temp ranges from 56 in summer to 54 in winter. Would only need a heater for the tank. Though that's long term. currently just planning for floor bracing before the setup arrives. making math easier I just use 9pounds per gallon of sea water instead of 8.6. I've been reading through so many people doing similar supports though they only say 125 gal tank and don't kindled the extra 50 gal or waterer for their sump. that could be an easy 400pounds they didn't think of. I'm estimating 2000 pounds total. 3" footprint could be 220pounds per square foot which floors are typical 40. Though my setup appears to be stronger with seven 2x12s over a 48" span. they used two 2x12's over a 12' span from sill to center house supporting beam. then framed a 36x72 section of 2x6's and on top they dropped a 2x12x6 joist box that has 3 joists. 8" away from that stair supporting beam is the next 2x12 joist that spans 12'. A friend suggested to me to nail plywood sheets on the frame to keep the stair frame from twisting.

My biggest Q was just use two jack posts or four? If I used just two, where would be best?

The Roaming Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m a carpenter by trade, primarily framing, so screw jack posts are something I try to avoid haha. If you want to add more support under the joists, I would put two double 2x10 headers spanning from the 2x6 wall cavity to the outside of that triple. You can post them under the triple.
If you put the 2x10s and respective posts 34 1/2 inches apart, you’d have a rough opening to accommodate a 2’8 door

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jack posts were flimsy. Just went with 4x4 posts and made into shelves. Probably overkill but would rather this than see a drywall crack or some floor boards buckle then have to do something. Need to get some mending plates so I can get rid of the 2x6’s holding the posts at the joists.

Attachments

• IMG_9196.jpeg
    IMG_9196.jpeg
    214.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_9197.jpeg
    IMG_9197.jpeg
    187.1 KB · Views: 28
Back