Extended fishless cycling?

drtechno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all..

I am starting to cycle my rock soon, but my tank is likely 4-6 months away still. I am doing a fishless cycle so the question is what happens once the initial cycle is "complete".. I assume I then have to continue ghost feeding the cycling tubs to keep feeding the bacteria, or else it will just die off or reduce in population. ?? How do I know how much to feed/how frequently, so as to not over feed? Is there a write up somewhere on how to maintain the conditions so that the bacterial population is maintained/continues to thrive without the introduction of fish ?

kimbericson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following
Hey all..

I am starting to cycle my rock soon, but my tank is likely 4-6 months away still. I am doing a fishless cycle so the question is what happens once the initial cycle is "complete".. I assume I then have to continue ghost feeding the cycling tubs to keep feeding the bacteria, or else it will just die off or reduce in population. ?? How do I know how much to feed/how frequently, so as to not over feed? Is there a write up somewhere on how to maintain the conditions so that the bacterial population is maintained/continues to thrive without the introduction of fish ?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind you are only establishing nitrifying bacteria and this is only part of the nitrogen cycle in reef systems. Once you start adding fish and corals, and hoepfully some maricultured live rock, The show really gets going. If it was me I would get some mollies and keep them in the tubs and feed accordingly or just drop in the amount of food a couple of fish would normally recieve.

OP
OP
drtechno

drtechno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. OK. So I won't have the diversity until fish are added. So my tank is 6 months away but I am going to attempt cycling now, and will let all know how it goes. Basically using Caribsea liferock, and after 2 weeks will add microbacter 7 and possibly some clean in at a later time. I plan on feeding the cycling tubs a small amount every day, and just run everything until the tank comes. I plan on monthly 10% water changes to bring down nitrates although I suppose I dont need this since I won't have any light for algae to grow under. I will let everyone know how it goes when I finally add the rocks into the tank

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. OK. So I won't have the diversity until fish are added. . . .

It might be more accurate to say you won't have the diversity until you add corals. And hopefully some maricultured liverock. Corals, sponges, algae and probably fungii and other benthic stuff are all manipulating the bacteria in the water. I would suggest getting Forest Rohwer's "Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas" (kindle $10, paperback $20). It's agood introduction to the conflicting roles of labile DOC on reefs.

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's it going so far?
Hmm. OK. So I won't have the diversity until fish are added. So my tank is 6 months away but I am going to attempt cycling now, and will let all know how it goes. Basically using Caribsea liferock, and after 2 weeks will add microbacter 7 and possibly some clean in at a later time. I plan on feeding the cycling tubs a small amount every day, and just run everything until the tank comes. I plan on monthly 10% water changes to bring down nitrates although I suppose I dont need this since I won't have any light for algae to grow under. I will let everyone know how it goes when I finally add the rocks into the tank

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back