External pump for a carbon reactor?

reely989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I have a sumpless 75 gallon up and running. I'm using a Tunze 9012 DC skimmer and a fluval FX4 for filtration. I'm starting to make some upgrades that I can transfer over to a bigger tank if I ever bite the bullet and upgrade. One of them I was considering was getting a reactor from BRS with that syncra pump. My question would be-- is there a drawback to running the pump on the exterior of the tank to save space in the display?

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no problem running the pump externally but keep in mind that sicce pumps are not self-priming so you will need to manually prime the external pump or plumb it so it starts with a flooded inlet (usually by drilling a hole in the sump or tank). This is impractical for most people which is why most opt to leave the pump in the tank.

OP
OP
R

reely989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no problem running the pump externally but keep in mind that sicce pumps are not self-priming so you will need to manually prime the external pump or plumb it so it starts with a flooded inlet (usually by drilling a hole in the sump or tank). This is impractical for most people which is why most opt to leave the pump in the tank.

Thanks for that info! I hadn't considered that.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 63 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 51 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 39 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back