External pump for in-sump skimmer

NYCMAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am replacing my skimmer, sump and fuge. Going from LifeReef to Bashsea. I recently put a Bashsea SS-48 on my 180G freshwater planted tank and really love it, so got a SS-60 for my 200 reef tank, along with the 6-30 skimmer. The Lifereef is slightly too small, and a power outage/return pump failure can't quite take the display water without overflowing. Having the fuge custom built elsewhere. I plan to run the skimmer in the sump, but power it from a Vectra L2 outside the sump. I plan to run not just the skimmer, but a media reactor (also Bashsea) manifold on the L2. Obviously will have ball valves on the inputs to both so can control flow rate, and have control of the L2 output from the Vectra controller. Does this seem sound. Usually I see dedicated pumps for skimmers, both located where the skimmer is located (in sump - pump in sump, external - pump external). Any observations appreciated. Thanks.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 6 30 bashea. I used a panworld ps 200 to power it. Works great. But its too much and microbubbles come out even though the pump is split from skimmer to return line. Probably the panworld 150 ps would be a better external pump.

ilawis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running my skimmer from my manafold driven off one of my main return lines so I don't think you should have a problem using a external pump.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back