External sump questions..

ReefdudeAdam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys.
Contemplating the possibility of putting a large sump in a detached garage for my upcoming build.. the issue I have is, the sump will be set through a wall, I’d need to bury the drains & return underground then up into the sump..
is this even possible..? Assuming I’d need a drain under the tank, then pump water from the smaller sump under tank to the external sump, then back out at the same speed it’s coming in..?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
If it’s going to be more hassle than it’s worth, I’ll stay with a traditional under tank sump

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having 2 pumps is asking for problems. Even the same make and model pumps. If the volume output fluctuates, you will have an overflow or a pump run dry.

OP
OP
R

ReefdudeAdam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having 2 pumps is asking for problems. Even the same make and model pumps. If the volume output fluctuates, you will have an overflow or a pump run dry.
I thought as much.. and a power outage issue...

sam150720

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys.
Contemplating the possibility of putting a large sump in a detached garage for my upcoming build.. the issue I have is, the sump will be set through a wall, I’d need to bury the drains & return underground then up into the sump..
is this even possible..? Assuming I’d need a drain under the tank, then pump water from the smaller sump under tank to the external sump, then back out at the same speed it’s coming in..?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
If it’s going to be more hassle than it’s worth, I’ll stay with a traditional under tank sump
Are you thinking a closed loop system?

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the detached larger sump lower to the ground than the smaller "middle" sump. That way you just need an overflow box and gravity feed water to the bigger sump, and only need one pump to return it to the middle sump.

The middle sumps water level will be constant by the overflow bix which may feel counter intuitive with the DT return chamber, but really the only variable water level will be the detached sumps return chamber

Back