extra filtration

madasahat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I have had a idea. i have a tank with a centre overflow. around the standpipe there is a "box" mode of glass then a perspex outer box with slots in it. could i fill the gap between the standpipe and the glass box with bio media for extra filtration? i would drill a small hole in the bottom of the standpipe to get a small flow so it would become a low flow low oxigin area. ? looks a bit like the below it just seams such a wasted area

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most don't do this because of the possibility of piping blockage.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting idea.
Ofc, with a small hole lower down in your standpipe, you will slowly drain even more of your DT into the sump when powered down. Would want to be sure the sump can hold the excess without overflowing.

Also, you risk drying out any snails or crabs that find their way in there if you power off for a few hours during an emergency or for big maintenance.

Depending on how porous your media is, there's the chance it may clog up too. Still think its a cool idea. Sounds similar to a denitrification thread on here. Check out https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/poor-man-nutrients-control-donovans-nitrate-destroyer.302685/

a pretty similar concept.

OP
OP
madasahat

madasahat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I was thinking that on the return i would put a gate valve so it didn't drain when doing any work and i would drill 2 or 3 holes half way up so there would always be a small reservoir . I know this would create a small dead area but no more than there is at the moment. i would put a secondary perforated tube around the standpipe so i can pull the standpipe out and this will allow a flush of the media into the sump for cleaning.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're just spitballing here, to be clear. I don't even run a denitrator. If you're looking for, and succeed in getting, an anaerobic zone in your overflow, I'd be hesitant to flush the media or significantly disturb it for the same reason people are so careful with deep sand beds. There's always the potential for hydrogen sulphide if the flow through the anaerobic zone isn't sufficient.

Sounds like a good question for @Randy Holmes-Farley

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back