Extra large moray eels

Steve's Saltwater life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 3 1/2 foot tessalata Morey eel that has way outgrown it's 60gal aquarium. I have setup a new 150gal and gave it a month to cycle. My problem is finding a way to get him out of the 60gal. Any net big enough to hold him won't fit through the top. the top has a glass brace Which only leaves a foot of space on each side to get in or out of. All I can think of is to find a large bag and try to get him in without injuring the eel or myself. Someone has told me that at his size he should be tough enough for me to transfer him without aclimating him. Any ideas and suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as acclimating him just make sure that the specific gravity is the same in both tanks and it will be fine.

I would move the live rock out of the tank first and neither into the new tank or whatever you plan to do with it. Then I would buy some 3 or better yet 4 inch PVC, cap 1 end use an elbow fitting, and run a section as long as you can from one end. Making like an L shape. Leave only one end open. Eventually he'll go in, and you can cup one end with your hand to keep him inside while you move it.

Cool pet btw. I always like morays but they seem like more work than a reef to me, having special feeding requirements etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Steve's Saltwater life

Steve's Saltwater life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as acclimating him just make sure that the specific gravity is the same in both tanks and it will be fine.

I would move the live rock out of the tank first and neither into the new tank or whatever you plan to do with it. Then I would buy some 3 or better yet 4 inch PVC, cap 1 end use an elbow fitting, and run a section as long as you can from one end. Making like an L shape. Leave only one end open. Eventually he'll go in, and you can cup one end with your hand to keep him inside while you move it.

Cool pet btw. I always like morays but they seem like more work than a reef to me, having special feeding requirements etc.
Awesome suggestion I actually have a 4 inch pvc pipe in the tank already that he spends most of his time in. I thought about that idea but I'll need to get a new one long enough to fit his whole body in. I got him as a baby and I've had him for 4 to 5 years now and he's grown rather quickly. I've had a reef tank and I can definitely say reef is much more difficult than this eel. Unlike most eels he's never tried to escape the tank and never tried to bite me. He's actually quite friendly and likes to be petted. I've never been afraid when cleaning the tank but I have been freaked out a couple times. When he gets mad at me while I'm cleaning the tank he'll come up and push my arm with his nose as if to say stop stirring all that crap up and give me a break here lol

OP
OP
Steve's Saltwater life

Steve's Saltwater life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome suggestion I actually have a 4 inch pvc pipe in the tank already that he spends most of his time in. I thought about that idea but I'll need to get a new one long enough to fit his whole body in. I got him as a baby and I've had him for 4 to 5 years now and he's grown rather quickly. I've had a reef tank and I can definitely say reef is much more difficult than this eel. Unlike most eels he's never tried to escape the tank and never tried to bite me. He's actually quite friendly and likes to be petted. I've never been afraid when cleaning the tank but I have been freaked out a couple times. When he gets mad at me while I'm cleaning the tank he'll come up and push my arm with his nose as if to say stop stirring all that crap up and give me a break here lol
In his new tank I have a 6 inch pipe because he barley fits in the 4 inch I have for him now. Here is a picture of his new home. I kicked up a little sand when I put the pipe it's that's why it cloudy
20170219_094815.jpg

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, good luck. I hope all goes well with the move. Kudos for raising that guy from a baby. I'm sure it has been a rewarding experience. Keep us updated with how things progress. Also, let's see some pics of this guy.

OP
OP
Steve's Saltwater life

Steve's Saltwater life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1487696929424307356775.jpg
Man, good luck. I hope all goes well with the move. Kudos for raising that guy from a baby. I'm sure it has been a rewarding experience. Keep us updated with how things progress. Also, let's see some pics of this guy.
I'll definitely give an update and share some pictures after I move him today. I'm a little embraced to show a picture of him in such a small tank. He's needed a new home for a while and I'm glad it's finally ready for him. Here's a picture of him now. He's still full from eating yesterday, and cozy in his pipe lol

OP
OP
Steve's Saltwater life

Steve's Saltwater life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1487696929424307356775.jpg

I'll definitely give an update and share some pictures after I move him today. I'm a little embraced to show a picture of him in such a small tank. He's needed a new home for a while and I'm glad it's finally ready for him. Here's a picture of him now. He's still full from eating yesterday, and cozy in his pipe lol
Here is a picture of his new home.
1487697348099490324925.jpg

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great advice with the PVC above, but don't cup the end with your hand to remove the pipe. Cover the end with a net.

Sure he might seem friendly now, but that could change when your hand is 2" away from his face and you're disturbing him and his home and exposing him to air. That's a stressful time for even the most hardy fish and those teeth aren't just for show ;)

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 41 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 148 73.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back