Extreme Fatal flaw discovered in reef

Engrene4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so today i was given the opportunity to receive a refractometer since i have been using a salinity meter before and i have always never had success
in my tank and its been over a year now and i tested my water with it having calibrated it beforehand and discovered my water was sitting at 1.040 salinity and i was shocked because i always wondered how do most people even do a reef tank because it seemed impossible to me because who knew my salinity was that high so i will start lowering it and its just made me extremely happy because i have been battling this the entire time i have been in the hobby all because of a stupid salinity meter, i have been able to keep a pair of clownfish, gsp and some snails but struggled with anything else not knowing why now i know here come a big step into my successful story now!

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s not a single period in that whole post hahaha

Glad to hear you were able to keep some stuff alive. Just another testament to the hardiness of GSP!

Edit: Correction, there is one in “1.40”, but I guess that would technically be called a decimal.

diverpat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a work of caution, the refractometer may not be totally accurate if calibrated with DI water. I recently got one that was reading high by 3 ppt mid-range on the scale when calibrated at zero. I’d recommend calibrating it with 35 ppt calibration solution. This will calibrate it close to the range it is supposed to read.

OP
OP
Engrene4

Engrene4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be getting a rodi unit and it said it was pre-calibrated but i have distilled water so i used that. And yeah got a little excited and wanted to say what went on as fast as possible hence the lack of punctuation.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back