Extreme Water Clarity and Cyano Eradication, Made Easy!

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked some old threads. It was Mrs. wages Pickling Lime as a substitute for kalk. Sorry for the confusion.

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SunnyX is there any concern with using more than 10 drops of MB7 per 5ml of the coral snow for cyano treatment?

I've been doing ongoing MB7 dosing as routine maintenance for some cyano and my normal amount of MB7 is more than that every day.

I would be after a 5ml coral snow to 2ml MB7 ratio.

Sorry if this has been asked in the thread already. I've read the first 4 pages only

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SunnyX is there any concern with using more than 10 drops of MB7 per 5ml of the coral snow for cyano treatment?

I've been doing ongoing MB7 dosing as routine maintenance for some cyano and my normal amount of MB7 is more than that every day.

Sorry if this has been asked in the thread already. I've read the first 4 pages only
For 250gal I am dosing 25ml MB7 with 25ml Snow. I am following the Stable, Low-nutrient Systems MB7 of 5ml per 50gal instructions for a total of 25ml per week. Sonny's instruction of 10drops per 5m of Snow would only equate to 2.5ml MB7 for my tank. So when I questioned this here is his response:
Thank you for reaching out. The dosages are suggested amounts. By all means, feel free to change the snow/bacteria ratio to suit your systems need. I tend to dose on the lower end of what is recommended on the MB7 bottle so that is why I used that amount. Also, there will be quite a few people just starting up with bacteria and I’d like for them to take it slow.
So if you are already dosing bacteria it seems safe to me to continue with the amount you dose or maybe cut back a little if you are dosing MB7 daily. Just my opinion.

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost my page in this book but do youbturn return pump off for dosing?
I do for 30min and keep power heads on to allow things to stir up and I think Sonny mention somewhere in this long thread that he also does but don't quote me on that. If you are dosing bacteria also the recommendation is to turn off your UV for a minimum of 2hrs if you are using one.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just dosed two hours ago I can notice clearer water , first pic is after pic lol

BC0468C6-DCD0-4D8E-B689-A92F5184DC1D.jpeg 22597EA9-B688-445D-86C1-3A835EE06156.jpeg 2D6A8E60-D3C0-46E1-B074-5B8376CF6121.jpeg 9E52DEDC-54F5-4939-87E7-C61A9BB02307.jpeg

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hello,

When I dose the bacteria\snow solution it is in addition to the 10ml of MB7 I dosed my aquarium for that day.

I would not alter any of your normal dosing routine’s.

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost my page in this book but do youbturn return pump off for dosing?

Yes. I recommended that the main system be turned off for 30 minutes to allow for the solution to make its way around the display before hitting the sump And other filtration.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back 15 years ago there was a shortage of Calcium Carbonate and a lot of people talked about using Mrs. Wages Pickle Mix to make snow. It’s calcium carbonate granules. Any thoughts on using it? Can’t remember what the results were because I left the hobby about then.

Jetson

101401A0-57B7-4E22-A343-15C0F1D4770B.png
101401A0-57B7-4E22-A343-15C0F1D4770B.png
picked fish... sounds good!
giphy.gif

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember this being a thing like 7 years ago.. idk. I think I still have a mostly full bag of that stuff in my fish junk box. I am terrible at using stuff like that consistently but maybe I should give it a shot again.

Kkuhar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I'm excited and ready to try this. I want to try the cyano edition as I do have some small patches of cyano. I have read through all of the pages and want to double abd triple check before I add anything to the tank. I have a 150 gallon system, including the sump. Can someone tell me how much of each I need? I do have microbacter 7 as well as ordered the calcium carbonate. For my first time I dobt want to do anything I can fix.

Kkuhar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I'm excited and ready to try this. I want to try the cyano edition as I do have some small patches of cyano. I have read through all of the pages and want to double abd triple check before I add anything to the tank. I have a 150 gallon system, including the sump. Can someone tell me how much of each I need? I do have microbacter 7 as well as ordered the calcium carbonate. For my first time I dobt want to do anything I can fix.
So what I'm thinking is:
15 ml of coral snow
30 drops of mb7
Mixed together and toss in!

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Sonny,
As a former rep with Aquaforest, I will offer that they have AF Build which is essentially their version of KZ CS.
Off their website AF Build:

"AF Build accelerates the absorption of calcium and carbonate which are crucial for the development of hard corals. By providing the corals with all the necessary ingredients, it facilitates and accelerates calcification, favourably affecting the growth rate. In addition, AF Build raises the pH level in reef aquariums. By keeping the pH at a proper, constant level, it additionally promotes coral growth. Long-term pH level aberrations result with slower calcification, inhibition of limestone algae growth and in extreme cases may completely stop the calcification process. Regular usage of AF Build prevents unfavourable fluctuations of pH levels and, by balancing the parameters in the aquarium, it improves the clarity of water and supports the growth of corals. Due to its unique properties, AF Build reduces the amount of lower-order algae and inhibits the growth of pathogenic cyanobacteria. Decomposing food may be one of the causes of the drop in pH, therefore AF Build should be used during intensive coral feeding, especially when using a highly nutritional AF Energy supplement. AF Build contains: iodides, calcium carbonate.
Dosage: 1 drop per 100 l (27 US gal) of water every other day after lights out. Do not dilute. Do not mix together with other products in one container. The product can be dosed by a dosing pump, provided it dispenses with drops. Once opened store in the fridge, if the temperature exceeds 24°C (75°F)."

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 tablespoons is approximately 110g right?
so 110g of Calcium Carbonate for 500ml RO?

imo 1 tbsp is about ~15g

In the older thread for the DIY Coral Snow they say 5 tbsp (roughly 115g) for 250ml

But I think you cannot overdose this stuff…

I used 115g for 250ml and it works

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 184 73.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back