mrs wages pickling lime

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it... There are several ways to dose kalk, so finding the one that's best for you is a good idea. I'm using a 1 gallon jug and air line tubing to drip in my 29, and using a two little fishes kalk reactor linked into my auto topoff in my 40.

jonny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I use it too...I saw 0 difference after switching from Kent Kalk to good old, cheap Mrs. Wages. An excellent tip for anyone looking to, or anyone who is currently dosing Kalk!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I use it.
I add 2 heaping tablespoons to a 5 gallon bucket of ro/di water, mix it for a 1/2 a minute.
Let it sit for 24 hours and take the clear liquid off the top and add it to my top off container.

jonny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it.
I add 2 heaping tablespoons to a 5 gallon bucket of ro/di water, mix it for a 1/2 a minute.
Let it sit for 24 hours and take the clear liquid off the top and add it to my top off container.

This is exactly the way I do it...people look at me crazy when I tell them though lol

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once the water becomes fully saturated that's all the kalk it will hold. There are ways to increase the saturation, like adding vinegar. The reason some settles in the bottom is because the water has become saturated. I throw 2 tsp in a gallon jug with rodi water and shake it for about 30 seconds. I try to do it the night before, but most of the time I'm just about out so I don't have time for that. So most of the time it sits for 5 minutes and i put it online. This probably isn't the best method (or even recommended) but that's how I do it.

scastillo813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412795239.028502.jpg

Giving it a try. Cost me all of $8 at Walmart. Wish me luck !

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nanareefer thats why I don't have a KALK Reactor in-line anymore.. Same reason as you stated.

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know when you have saturated the water with enough Limewater? I want to start dosing Calcium and Alkalinity again but before make sure I understand the mixture.

I am using BRS Kalk powder but would use the pickling lime you suggest.

jservedio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spring for spending the extra $5 and get higher purity Calcium Hydroxide from BRS for $12.99 per gallon! I know Mrs. Wages is perfectly safe, but I always prefer adding a few impurities as possible to my tank in addition to what I intend to add.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to manually dose the Mrs. Wages in place of a 2 part? :) Yes I'm looking for any easier, softer way-lol.

Only if you need a very small amount, or you want to make many manual additions each day.

Adding 1.4 dKH of alkalinity in limewater all at once is way too much, boosting pH instantly by 0.6 to 0.7 pH units. Adding 0.25 dKH worth is likely OK. :)

Of course, a cheap dripper can work well, but needs refilling pretty often. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know when you have saturated the water with enough Limewater? I want to start dosing Calcium and Alkalinity again but before make sure I understand the mixture.

I am using BRS Kalk powder but would use the pickling lime you suggest.

Either of those is a fine choice.

Adding about 2 teaspoons per gallon of fresh water is about saturation. You can add more if you want, and just leave the excess solids to settle out and be used next time. I do that a lot.

You can also measure conductivity. Saturation is around 10 mS/cm. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 95 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back