Extreme Water Clarity and Cyano Eradication, Made Easy!

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sonny, do you have a substitute product as it seems that link in your first post is not available at the moment?
Thank you!

corey

Hi!

Just about any lab/food grade Calcium Carbonate will work. I believe that a few alternatives were posted here by other reefers a few pages back.

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 hours is up, put 5mls + 10 drops of microbacter7 in for cyano

Before shot:
20220615_140030.jpg

You can kinda see the cyano on the front sand
20220615_140728.jpg

I turned off the return pump for a few minutes just to let it all settle
24 hrs later before the second pass with the turkey baster, followed by a before/after collage. Visible clarity improvement, and I thought my water was already clear. Could be unrelated, but my nems haven't had bubbles in the three years I got them, and now they have bubbles overnight.

20220616_135655.jpg

GridArt_20220616_140106886.jpg

skiwez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone here have leather corals and use this? I did my first dose yesterday and the water looks great but my leathers are slightly peeved. Still opened with polyp extension but only about 1/2 the size of yesterday. Actually better for me since they were getting too big just wondering if permanent or temporary?

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone here have leather corals and use this? I did my first dose yesterday and the water looks great but my leathers are slightly peeved. Still opened with polyp extension but only about 1/2 the size of yesterday. Actually better for me since they were getting too big just wondering if permanent or temporary?
My kenya looked kind of mad and dropped a few branches, but I'm not sure if they were going to drop anyway since it's been doing that lately

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave this a try earlier this week and it worked very well. My water was already pretty clear, I have a UV, activated carbon, skimmer and I use 100 micron socks.

It took my system about 3+ hours to filter it all out, but that is not the biggest surprise since I tend to run a lower flow rate through my sump.

But after, the water really did look clearer than before.

Thanks, I plan to keep doing this about once a week.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, looks like I'm going to give this a try, just ordered some magic white powder and I already have MB7.

I have good water clarity but not that see through quality and clarity that this may give my tank.

I'll keep you folks posted. Magic powder should be here tomorrow or Sunday.

Really looking forward to giving this a whirl.

Cool Ethan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was definitely seeing some improved clarity 3 days into dosing and was hoping to get ahead of some cyano creeping in. Unfortunately it escalated too quickly and started to cover some coral so had to take some drastic measures. Used Chemiclean which thankfully cleared up 95% of the cyano in less than 48 hours. Just did the advised 20% water change leaving some pretty cloudy water. Added Sunny's mix to help clear the water and hopefully help prevent any sort of relapse.

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you doing this a few times a week?

corey

Hello,

I dose this once a week, each Saturday after a 25% water change.

If I had cyano, I would be dosing and siphoning out the cyano daily.

-Sonny

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I used this mixture, my skimmer didn't skim anything and I didn't see anything in my 250 micron filter sock. I passed a turkey baster over my rocks 3x and got most of it off, then I did a water change, siphoning the substrate and sump, but even then I didn't really see much. Should I get a finer filter sock?

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I used this mixture, my skimmer didn't skim anything and I didn't see anything in my 250 micron filter sock. I passed a turkey baster over my rocks 3x and got most of it off, then I did a water change, siphoning the substrate and sump, but even then I didn't really see much. Should I get a finer filter sock?

what kind of flow are you running in your tank? Shouldn’t have to blow any of the calcium carbonate off of anything. I dose once a week and my skimmer neck is always caked with it after dosing even going through filter socks.

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what kind of flow are you running in your tank? Shouldn’t have to blow any of the calcium carbonate off of anything. I dose once a week and my skimmer neck is always caked with it after dosing even going through filter socks.
I have a 55g with a 1375GPH pump + return pump on medium-high. I have heavy amounts of live rock in my tank that break up the flow too, so there are probably some dead spots

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back