Extreme Water Clarity and Cyano Eradication, Made Easy!

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should you remove carbon or any chemical filtration for this process?

That’s a good question. Personally, I turn off the main system pump for 30 minutes, allowing for the coral snow to work its way around the display. After which, I turn on the system pump and let the water flow into my sump.

I have also dosed it in the past and left everything on, including carbon reactors will no I’ll effect.

Be sure to keep your power heads going as you’ll need to keep the snow moving around the system, collecting waste.

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They call it "food," but from what I gather they ground up coral and dehydrate it. So it's mostly calcium carbonate.

You are correct. Combining this solution with bacteria or amino acids can and will aid in nutrient uptake by the corals.

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is safe? does it affect any levels of anything? :smiling-face-with-smiling-eyes:

This is perfectly safe. Stick to the dosages described and be sure to run a large enough skimmer. After the first dose you should see results immediately. Well, that is as soon as the water has cleared up which can take about 2 hours in most cases.

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey sonny

Sorry, I am not from the US and dont know what calcium carbonate product I could use.
Would you say this is useable?

its almost the only product I can find....

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey sonny

Sorry, I am not from the US and dont know what calcium carbonate product I could use.
Would you say this is useable?

its almost the only product I can find....

Maybe I could go with this product... Its CaCO3 (E 170) which should be food grade.
Anyone knows?

Maybe @Randy Holmes-Farley

Here the Data sheet:

92CB4BCD-DF3D-49E4-B3AF-C63BC1589CDC.png

Last edited:

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a similar thing with aragonite sand in a mesh bag in the sump. The fines that get released cloud the water and get filtered by the sock (I’m not skimming or running carbon but have got a UV). The idea behind using sand in a bag was to be able to remove bound phosphate easily and change the sand out weekly. To get powder, you could just smash some sand up, and use that.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it can be used everytime you clean your glass, like every few days? I'll most likely try it without shutting returns as my apex atk/ato just settled back (messing with levels takes DAYS to get the ato working again). Once I have my feed buttons programmed I'll try with returns turned down.

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you still use carbon with this?

Yes. I still use carbon as I believe it helps to clear the aquarium of containments and is generally a good "insurance" policy for your setup. There are numerous containments floating around a typical home and the carbon helps to offset some of that.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to try it also but it certainly appears to be well tested prior. The OPs tanks are perfect and his experience speaks for itself but I found dozens of posts dating back over 10 years that show reefers have tried this approach which even more so helps me to form my opinion that it is reef safe and may provide terrific results.

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus.. How many grams are 10 tablespoons of Calciumcarbonate? :) Just to have an exact amount.
Might be helpful.

Hello,

Generally, you're looking at 15g per tablespoon but the power is a finer grade than most so I would have to get an accurate measurement at home and get back to you on the exact weight.

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SunnyX

Do you use/have used UV in any of your systems?

Hi! I do not use UV. I have never really had a need for it. All of my fish are sourced locally and go through QT before being added to my setup(s).

The biggest key my success is the use of carbon dosing and bacteria. Many years back, 15 or so, I was one of the first to push vodka dosing. I am currently writing up an article concerning carbon dosing and many of my best practices. I try and keep things simple in my setups, omitting technology and needless tests when I can.

The newest generation had moved away from some of the basic and core tenants of the hobby concerning real live rock, skimming, water changes and flow. Dino's and many other afflictions are now much more prevalent and I believe that this is largely due to the loss of the basics.

There is no wrong way to maintain an aquarium but there is a better way. Hopefully the information that has made me successful can aid some here. I learn something everyday from reefers of all levels of experience.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back