Extremely low ALK how slow should I increase?

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First yes I should be punished for not paying better attention to my water parameters. Just been busy in life. I had noticed a decline in my corals not growing as fast and loosing some small SPS. over the weekend I checked the ALK and using Salifert test kit got reading of just under 5. I have done a small water change and purchased B-Ionic 2 part. Just want to be sure I don't move too fast in trying to raise ALK and do more damage. What would be a safe amount to raise ALk either daily or weekly. I do have a peristatic pump so I can dose slowly over time just don't want to over do it.
Thanks in advance for any help here.

hotashes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No more than 1dKH per day is maximum I would consider, obviously you could begin with 0.5dKH increase daily to be safe.

HTH

A.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bottle will give you , by tank volume , the safe low dose.

If you want , you can reduce that amount by half.

Martin Kuhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see even 2dKH per day as no issue at all.
That’s better than remaining at too low alkalinity

Of course it is better to split into 2 or three doses.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy thank you for that thought. I cant say at all the test kit is accurate and seems to be a good point. I think I will go out today and get another test kit from another supplier and compare the two. The actual number I tested was 4.8. I have been adding of b-ionic 2 part and last night tested at 5.5

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to LFS today and purchased Hanna Checker for ALK. It gave me a reading of 6.3. I have been adding 2 part slowly to raise so not fore sure if other test was totally accurate but it looks like I'm getting there.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to LFS today and purchased Hanna Checker for ALK. It gave me a reading of 6.3. I have been adding 2 part slowly to raise so not fore sure if other test was totally accurate but it looks like I'm getting there.
Just remember though, with the Hanna checker you should buy their cleaner and clean the vial after every use, trust me, I know, if you don't it will start to give you false readings because it uses light to take a reading and if the vial has a coating on it, it will mess up the readings, as long as you keep them clean they are awesome though.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I bought extra reagent but did not see any cleaner in the store display I will look into that. Today after testing I rinsed the vial with RODI water.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I bought extra reagent but did not see any cleaner in the store display I will look into that. Today after testing I rinsed the vial with RODI water.
That will work. You might shake it down to get out any drops that might be left and be sure to leave the cap off. Some rodi water and a cotton swab can be used if you see spots inside.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sounds good. 6.5 dKH or above is no hurry to raise it further.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back