Eyes Cloudy

A specific gravity of 1.009 is what you need to reach to treat both flukes and ich.

I agree, reading refractometers can be tough. I always like to use two or even three measurement devices to ensure I’m getting an accurate reading.
I’m a little confused like always, Jay. So should I bring it to 1.00 on the optical refractor? I bought a salinity tube and a jar, but it doesn’t go that low. I thought it did go that low, but it where you put it in the water and bobs up and down. I spent $70 and after reading about it, doesn’t go that low. So would I be safe bringing it down to 1.000? Again, I’m sorry to be a pain. Sometimes I get confused on all this. Thank you again for the time you spent on this
 
You don't want it at 1.000. That's freshwater with no salt and will kill your Fish. What is a Salinity Tube/Jar Setup? Do you mean a Hydrometer?
 
I’m a little confused like always, Jay. So should I bring it to 1.00 on the optical refractor? I bought a salinity tube and a jar, but it doesn’t go that low. I thought it did go that low, but it where you put it in the water and bobs up and down. I spent $70 and after reading about it, doesn’t go that low. So would I be safe bringing it down to 1.000? Again, I’m sorry to be a pain. Sometimes I get confused on all this. Thank you again for the time you spent on this
What Salinity Tester would you recommend please
 
Most don't read that low. My Tropic Marin Doesn't. I have a Hanna Digital but beware that these can read off by .001 to .002. Another option is the old box style Hydrometers, but I would measure it's reading against a reference solution and you can't have bubbles on the arm. I have no specific recommendation, but the one below looks good. I used to use one of these years ago.

Coralife Deep Six Hydrometer for Aquarium Fish Tank Salinity​

 
Most don't read that low. My Tropic Marin Doesn't. I have a Hanna Digital but beware that these can read off by .001 to .002. Another option is the old box style Hydrometers, but I would measure it's reading against a reference solution and you can't have bubbles on the arm. I have no specific recommendation, but the one below looks good. I used to use one of these years ago.

Coralife Deep Six Hydrometer for Aquarium Fish Tank Salinity​

THANKS MINUTE TOO LATE LOL JUST BOUGHT A

HI98319 Marine Salinity Tester - Hanna Instruments,THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME​

 
I’m a little confused like always, Jay. So should I bring it to 1.00 on the optical refractor? I bought a salinity tube and a jar, but it doesn’t go that low. I thought it did go that low, but it where you put it in the water and bobs up and down. I spent $70 and after reading about it, doesn’t go that low. So would I be safe bringing it down to 1.000? Again, I’m sorry to be a pain. Sometimes I get confused on all this. Thank you again for the time you spent on this.

Jay stated you need to be at 1.009sg lowest. Not 1.00sg. He also said that 1.012sg would work for Neobenedenia flukes.

Hanna is an okay tool to reference salinity. Hydrometers are most accurate. The new TM hydrometer does not go that low though. They used to have one that did.

Hanna’s that I used are only so I can get a quick reading to match mixing salt to tank salt. Mine are usually off by .001-.002sg even after calibration. Might be the calibration solution issue. You can try making your own reference solution. But the Hanna one is off. So I would not trust it to read 1.009 and in reality it’s 1.007sg. Or to read 1.012sg and in reality it’s 1.014sg

I would trust a ATC refractometer before a Hanna for actual salinity testing.
 
Jay stated you need to be at 1.009sg lowest. Not 1.00sg. He also said that 1.012sg would work for Neobenedenia flukes.

Hanna is an okay tool to reference salinity. Hydrometers are most accurate. The new TM hydrometer does not go that low though. They used to have one that did.

Hanna’s that I used are only so I can get a quick reading to match mixing salt to tank salt. Mine are usually off by .001-.002sg even after calibration. Might be the calibration solution issue. You can try making your own reference solution. But the Hanna one is off. So I would not trust it to read 1.009 and in reality it’s 1.007sg. Or to read 1.012sg and in reality it’s 1.014sg

I would trust a ATC refractometer before a Hanna for actual salinity testing.
Thank you
 
I’d say this is Neobenedenia. You could confirm by giving one of the fish a three to five minute freshwater dip, and look for flukes falling off.
This.

@puccie1 You can help them fall off faster if you give them some gentle nudges either with a finger or soft baby toothbrush. It's a good way to provide immediate relief. I don't know that there's any benefit to keeping the parasites on longer than this, eg. waiting for the meds to activate and do it.
 
This.

@puccie1 You can help them fall off faster if you give them some gentle nudges either with a finger or soft baby toothbrush. It's a good way to provide immediate relief. I don't know that there's any benefit to keeping the parasites on longer than this, eg. waiting for the meds to activate and do it.
One got it bad the eyes
 
The Hanna will work; however you must account for the Measurement Error. I usually use my Tropic Marin and measure a Water Sample with it and then the same sample with the Hanna and write down the offset.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new