F2 Ingredients?

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 9, 2018
Messages
1,699
Reaction score
1,293
Location
Virginia
What state or country do you live in
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might try to culture phytoplankton, and was wondering what f2 fertilizer contains. Can I just use nutrient-rich tap water as fertilizer?
 
Just get Florida aqua farms micro algae grow or fritz f/2 algae food.
https://fritzaquatics.com/products/f-2-algae-food
They are both based on Guillards f/2 media which contains dozens of ingredients from major nutrients to trace. You don't want to try to build it from scratch.
 
Thanks for replying. I’m not trying to build it, I’m just wondering if I can just use tap water as fertilizer, as it has 20 ppm nitrates, and it works for regular plants, fresh and salt.
 
Maybe. If it also had phosphates and trace metals in a sufficient but not problematic level.

So much else can go wrong with growing phyto, I'd make sure to do the easy part right.
 
I just saw a exact formula's for the 2 main aquatic fert formulas, one being the Guiliards ...its on the FAO site...it could take a min as I'm looking through my 2million bookmarks

I’m just wondering if I can just use tap water as fertilizer, as it has 20 ppm nitrates, and it works for regular plants, fresh and salt.

sure, maybe but I think one issue I've always had with phyto cultures is contamination: bacterial, algae or even rotifers,et .... Guiliards is cheap and easy to find ...
 
Thanks for replying. I’m not trying to build it, I’m just wondering if I can just use tap water as fertilizer, as it has 20 ppm nitrates, and it works for regular plants, fresh and salt.


Marine algae’s are much more complex than land plants. All marine algae’s are not controlled by the most abundant element, but they are limited by the least abundant element.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new