Fair winds and following seas: What is your approach to reef raffles and drawings?

What is your approach to reef raffles and drawings?

• I go all in on big items.

Votes: 22 8.1%
  • I avoid big items and select less popular items.

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • I spread tickets across all items.

Votes: 50 18.5%
  • I add just a few tickets.

Votes: 40 14.8%
  • I add a lot of tickets.

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • I don’t participate.

Votes: 141 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 5.2%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fair winds and following seas: What is your approach to reef raffles and drawings?
Whether the reef drawings are online or at reef shows, they are often a popular event. Nearly every reef show offers some type of raffle or drawing. For the drawings where there are multiple options that you can select, some people go all in for a large item, some people avoid the large items and select less popular items, some people spread their tickets throughout all of the options, some people add just a few tickets, some people purchase many extra tickets, and others choose not to participate at all. What is your approach to reef drawings? Please tell us about your strategy for entering reef drawings and good luck to all of you who choose to enter any reef drawing in 2024!

FlFragSwap_Raffle.jpeg

Photo by @FL Frag Swap

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tidalgardens.com

TidalGardensBanner3.jpeg

“The goal of Tidal Gardens is to offer the highest quality corals to those seeking a piece of that world without destroying it. We hope to instill a deep appreciation for the natural reefs and help develop a self-sustaining hobby that no longer requires the collection of fish and corals.”

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
never participated in a raffle, outside of the forum. never had much luck with winning at events like this, and i'm not the type of person to just aimlessly buy an exaggerated amount of tickets just to have a better chance than someone else.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always give my tickets away or tell them I don’t want any if the tickets are free at a swap. I am blessed with enough opportunities to earn things if I want them. I like giving, and prefer to see others win. I don’t participate in paid raffles.

AtlantiCat

33% Salt, 67% Fresh, 100% Weird
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Summa deez and summa doze.

A few tix in the big items on the off-chance I might win and more tix in the smaller items, which gives me a better chance of winning.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually won a Red Sea Reefer 250 from R2R, but other than door prizes or free raffles, I do not participate. I do not throw my money away on gambling. The hard earned money I sacrificed part of my life for, is going to buy an actual coral at a show, not to gambling.

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I go to a few shows a year, but I don't generally do the raffles. It always seems like huge amounts of tickets are given to certain people/organizations, so my chance of winning on just a few tickets is pretty low. You always see a few people that get a big haul of prizes.

noxthedragon1236

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently won a fluval evo xii. As I stood by I watched this kid standing by he really wanted to win it. I heard his dad say not to be bummed it's not likely he would win and would just have to wait until they could afford to buy him a tank. I could hear the kid talking about how he loved how cool the corals were and that he really wanted a Nemo of his own. When it came time for the drawing my ticket was called and I could see the disappointment on his face a a tear on his cheek. I didn't need another tank at the moment even though I want to build myself a frag tank I thought to myself I don't need another evo. So I had to pass him as I went up to accept my prize and as I did I asked the dad if I could show his son something. He looked confused and reluctantly agreed. So I took the young boy up to the raffle table and said to him I seen how much you were hoping for this tank. He said yeah he has always wanted one and hid dad and him came to the show to see things and get ideas to build a tank. So I looked at him and said well it's yours I handed him my ticket and told him to take good care of it. His dad thanked me and shook my hand. A few other people were moved and helped the kid, Someone gave him some salt. Someone gave him some live sand. I think there was a few other things as well that were donated to help get him started. Long raffle story but I hope that I helped bring a new reefer to the hobby that day.

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually give my tickets to others. The last local frag swap and the Reefapoloza required you to be present at the time of the drawing. If I got to the show early for the best selection, and I have a 3+ hour drive home, I am not going to just wait hours for the drawing.

Roger's Rascals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 20+ freshwater tanks and have arrived to the point where I am beyond ready to start reefing. Haven't yet, but let the games begin.

Patientman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll buy a few ... but no hopes of winning anything particular ... able to purchase needed/wanted gear. I look at it as a donation to hosting club.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back