Fake Long-Spined Urchin

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am getting a couple Banggai Cardinalfish as my first occupants in my new 32 Gal Biocube after it's done cycling.

I hear they have a kind of symbiotic relationship with Long-Spined Urchin so started researching into that. Well it turns out the urchin gets to be about the size of a basketball so is out of the question.

So my next thought was what of I could buy or make a fake one?

Anyone know of a place that makes tank safe replica urchins or of a clever way to craft one?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am getting a couple Banggai Cardinalfish as my first occupants in my new 32 Gal Biocube after it's done cycling.

I hear they have a kind of symbiotic relationship with Long-Spined Urchin so started researching into that. Well it turns out the urchin gets to be about the size of a basketball so is out of the question.

Anyone know of a place that makes tank safe replica urchins or of a clever way to craft one?
It's not going to look like an urchin for long, you know, unless you take it out and clean it every week or so.

I think your cardinals will be just fine without a fake buddy.

OP
OP
Kiboshed

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not going to look like an urchin for long, you know, unless you take it out and clean it every week or so.

I think your cardinals will be just fine without a fake buddy.
Your probably right, just thought it would be fun and make them more comfortable.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've seen some cool baby cardinal habitats made with black zip ties.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even cutting off the plastic head and using CA glue to attach them to a small rock or shell would be easy.

glue them to a black bioballs or a black chunk of foam. See now u got me thinking. Easy project for baby cards.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%
Back