Fallback: ON fails

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there

Apex classic, hardwired to router.

My return pump is on outlet 3 (triac) with a set:eek:n Fallback:eek:n statement

Whenever my head unit loses contact with the eb8, outlet 3 stays on. Good. A subsequent reconnect between HU and eb8 leads to a short off-on blip, presumably as the triac is ‘reset’ as the connection is formed. Not good

This happened during a power cut this week, where power was restored and everything started up smoothly, but as soon as I regained connection to the HU, I got the blip

Happened twice during an attempt to fix the internet connection issue from other posts, and when I rebooted the head unit by removing and replacing the aquabus to the eb8, got the blip . Second time, one of my clowns got sucked into the return and ejected upon restart. In hospital tank now with e popped eyeball and lacerations. My guess he was in the pump.

Is this ‘blip’ expected on the triac outlets? If so, it would have been good to know about that.

Any ideas if this is normal?

@NeptunePaul
@Terence
@RussM

Tagging because my last few threads here apparently went unnoticed and I’d appreciate someone commenting

Thanks

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tested this with my secondary eb8, and set fallback on conditions for one triac and one relay outlet. Also tested fallback off. Plugged some led lights and a small air pump into outlets . Outlets set to auto

This eb8 connected directly to hu via aquabus

When I removed aquabus and waited for green status led to flash-

Setback on - remained on.
Setback off- remained on

When I then reinserted Aquabus and waited until green light stable-

Setback on: on (no blip)
Setback off: stayed on

So, obviously this isn’t the same as the others eb8, but it’s still isn’t working correctly.

What I didn’t do was power down the head unit to mimic a power cut. I still have the other eb8 working the tank

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, no personal experience with the EB8. Or the Classic either.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have to open a support ticket through their site to get them to look into it. If you do, please share the response here as well.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing but support tickets with this thing. Even basic programming becomes a headache.

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever the power comes back on (plugged back in or power outage ends), my system blips as well. i think something resets causing the entire apex to blip off. The outlet remains on but there is a short power outage as the unit resets itself. I don't see this as an issue...just the unit resetting itself or going through some sort of self check after a power outage. I'm not sure if this is you exact issue or not but hope it helps...

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever the power comes back on (plugged back in or power outage ends), my system blips as well. i think something resets causing the entire apex to blip off. The outlet remains on but there is a short power outage as the unit resets itself. I don't see this as an issue...just the unit resetting itself or going through some sort of self check after a power outage. I'm not sure if this is you exact issue or not but hope it helps...

I definitely see it as an issue if that leads to an outlet that is set to fallback ON switching off, even if it is brief.

It’s Fallback ON, not Fallback ON-OFF-ON

The issue is that my system has a basement sump and it takes 1-2 minutes for water levels to stabilize where they are supposed to be. That blip leads to my return pump section running low for 3-4 minutes- enough to trigger the ATO and add like 2 gallons of water. I’m using a separate ATO on an independent outlet. Now, I’m having to look into apex controlling it and adding a defer command to the outlet to prevent the ATO powering up unless my return section level is at ‘normal’. Defeats the purpose of an independant ATO somewhat

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely see it as an issue if that leads to an outlet that is set to fallback ON switching off, even if it is brief.

It’s Fallback ON, not Fallback ON-OFF-ON

The issue is that my system has a basement sump and it takes 1-2 minutes for water levels to stabilize where they are supposed to be. That blip leads to my return pump section running low for 3-4 minutes- enough to trigger the ATO and add like 2 gallons of water. I’m using a separate ATO on an independent outlet. Now, I’m having to look into apex controlling it and adding a defer command to the outlet to prevent the ATO powering up unless my return section level is at ‘normal’. Defeats the purpose of an independant ATO somewhat
I understand your issue. I don't think the outlet is turning ON-OFF-ON...the entire unit resets. You could add a Defer statement that would keep your ATO turned off for X minutes after the power turns back on. This would allow time for your sump level to stabilize. I am not a pro at programming the APEX but think it would look something like:

[ ReturnPump]
Fallback ON
(Other programming such as If Feed statements)
If Power Apex OFF 003 Then OFF

[ ATO ]
Fallback OFF
Set ON
If Outlet ReturnPump = OFF Then OFF
Defer 005 Then ON

Others can probably help more with how to code it.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand your issue. I don't think the outlet is turning ON-OFF-ON...the entire unit resets. You could add a Defer statement that would keep your ATO turned off for X minutes after the power turns back on. This would allow time for your sump level to stabilize.
I’m not sure about that. I mean, pier to the head unit was never off- I just pulled the aquabus iut of the eb8. Head unit got power from eb8/2. It seems to be cycling the relays in the eb8 when it reconnects to the network/head unit. I only hear the relay click from the eb8 that had the web removed. If it was s global reset, relays on both eb8’s would click

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure about that. I mean, pier to the head unit was never off- I just pulled the aquabus iut of the eb8. Head unit got power from eb8/2. It seems to be cycling the relays in the eb8 when it reconnects to the network/head unit. I only hear the relay click from the eb8 that had the web removed. If it was s global reset, relays on both eb8’s would click
I understand your issue. I don't think the outlet is turning ON-OFF-ON...the entire unit resets. You could add a Defer statement that would keep your ATO turned off for X minutes after the power turns back on. This would allow time for your sump level to stabilize. I am not a pro at programming the APEX but think it would look something like:

[ ReturnPump]
Fallback ON
(Other programming such as If Feed statements)
If Power Apex OFF 003 Then OFF

[ ATO ]
Fallback OFF
Set ON
If Outlet ReturnPump = OFF Then OFF
Defer 005 Then ON

Others can probably help more with how to code it.

I understand that, but having to put it on an apex outlet is a pain since I bought a stand-alone unit. If I’m putting it on the outlet anyway, I could have just bought 2 floats and a basic pump.

Back