Fallout From a Messy Clown Divorce - Can I Save a Blind Clown?

WarEaglesReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a mated pair of ocellaris clowns for close to 10 years. They've grown with me from a 13 gallon to a 65g to a 180g, where they've resided for the past 3 years. Always gotten along great, had themselves a clutch of eggs together just last week. But this Monday I came to give the the tank a last look before lights out and found the male absolutely torn to shreds resting on the bottom of the tank. I got him into a hospital tank and after seeing a very distinct bite radius on his fin and tail, his mate is really the only fish in the tank that could be the culprit.

I've been dosing the hospital tank with Stress Guard and his fins are healing very well. He's got great energy now after a few days of rest and he's up and swimming around the tank looking almost back to his normal self. But I noticed that while very excited that he can smell food when I try to feed him, he can not seem to find it. He now appears to be totally blind. I can reach in and grab him with my bare hand, he has no reaction to lights on or off, and cannot be spooked at all. His eyes do not look cloudy or damaged, but it is very obvious that he cannot see out of either of them.

I'm not sure if the sudden blindness is what caused his mate to reject him after so long or if the blindness was caused by head trauma from her roughing him up but my main question is, is it possible to get this little guy to eat? Can I save a blind clownfish? I've yet to be successful with any attempt to spot feed him. Aside from the blindness, he seems to be very comfortable and full of life and I will happily take care of him with his new special needs if there's a way to get him to eat. Anyone had success caring for a blind clownfish?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a blind clownfish for a little. She unfortunately died. They were sold to me as a mated pair and no aggression issues from the male. He seemed to even help her and stayed close to her. Came home from work one night and he had ripped her bottom jaw off. She died. But while I had her I would squirt her food so it fell on top of her and thats how I fed her. Based on my experience I would suggest you get a small set up just for him and not put him back with the female or any other fish. I wish I had done that with mine but I really thought they were bonded. I think if you put him back in the tank she would just kill him to be honest.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There was someone here s few years ago that fed a blind fish with a pipette.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sad, but they overcome a lot

OP
OP
WarEaglesReef

WarEaglesReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a blind clownfish for a little. She unfortunately died. They were sold to me as a mated pair and no aggression issues from the male. He seemed to even help her and stayed close to her. Came home from work one night and he had ripped her bottom jaw off. She died. But while I had her I would squirt her food so it fell on top of her and thats how I fed her. Based on my experience I would suggest you get a small set up just for him and not put him back with the female or any other fish. I wish I had done that with mine but I really thought they were bonded. I think if you put him back in the tank she would just kill him to be honest.
Yeah, I'm not planning on introducing him back to the big tank unless somehow he miraculously regains his vision. I figure I will spend a few more days trying to get him to eat and if I'm not able to get any food in him then I'll figure out how to humanely euthanize him so he doesn't have to slowly starve to death. I've tried spot feeding frozen food with a pipette and dropping pellets on top of him and haven't had success with either, but I'll keep at it for a bit longer before giving up. Fingers crossed he eats soon!

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if the sudden blindness is what caused his mate to reject him after so long or if the blindness was caused by head trauma from her roughing him
Maybe it’s the opposite. She rejected him and tried to kill him because he was blind and weak. Weakness is often not tolerate in the wild.

Zeeter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with WarEaglesReef.

If the eyes look ok then it is doubtful that the female caused the blindness. Rather, she tried to kill him because of the blindness. Not only did she reject him, but she also did not want him trying to reproduce with another female and harm the species.

If it were me, I'd get another clownfish and put him in with her. Meanwhile, I'd euthanize the blind clown. That's no life for him.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back