Fallow ammonia question

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I have a 210 gallon system that has been fallow well over 13 weeks. I am planning to have angels in it and am receiving my 4th angel today. Other three have been quarantined. I am planning to add all four at the same time. I am concerned about the possibility of an ammonia spike. The tank has been ghost fed from once every couple of weeks to a couple times a week. Sitting neglected as I couldn’t do water changes during my surgery recovery, I cleaned the tank yesterday. Tank has been overrun with bubble algae, grape caulerpa/chaeto performing well in the fuge, haven’t tested parameters, but I didn’t run the roller mat for the entire fallow and there has been significant algae growth in the glass which has been literally covered in iso pods, copepods, amphipods and a super tiny crustacean that looks like a 1/8-1/4 shrimp.

There are a few soft corals (toadstool, devils finger, some Zoas, cepistularia, and waving hand anthelia). Can I dose straight ammonia as I did when I originally cycled the tank to try to build a super solid bio filter, or would that hurt the biome (little critters) or the corals.

My plan be would be to dose seachem stability daily for at least a week and have 80 gallons of fresh mixed saltwater available at all times for any possible emergency. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Would prefer to add the angels one at a time, but feel my chances of minimizing aggression are a lot better by adding all together as I have done the first time (pre ich) and with tangs.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia dosing is fine, but I'd limit the amount at once:

OP
OP
Reef By Steele

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Ammonia dosing is fine, but I'd limit the amount at once:

Thanks. But shouldn’t take it to 2 each time like when I cycled the tank with nothing live in it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. But shouldn’t take it to 2 each time like when I cycled the tank with nothing live in it.

I wouldn't. I'd add the equivalent of ~1-2 ppm spread out during the day/night.

OP
OP
Reef By Steele

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I was reading your article and it said safe to dose .1. Thanks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back