Fallow. How to

Richards Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 Anenome’s in DT along with 2 porcelain crabs and a few snails and small crabs. How do I maintain cycle in tank ? My tank has been up for 4 months. I have 2 canister filters. Two power heads and airstone. It's a 75 gallon tank. do I feed anemones now and crabs being no fish in tank ?

20240220_104406.jpg

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 Anenome’s in DT along with 2 porcelain crabs and a few snails and small crabs. How do I maintain cycle in tank ? My tank has been up for 4 months. I have 2 canister filters. Two power heads and airstone. It's a 75 gallon tank. do I feed anemones now and crabs being no fish in tank ?

20240220_104406.jpg
Yes, both the crabs and the anemones need to be fed. They are both living inverts.

Depending on the snails species, they will most likely eat algae off of the rocks.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would feed the anemones, some sort of shrimp, clam or fish. You can also feed them a mysis shrimp blend. No bigger chunks then a dime should be fed to the anenome.

If I am not mistaken, the crabs host the anenomes, right? If they are anenome porcelain crabs, then they will sometimes eat mucus excreted from the anemone, and will sometimes pick at left over food left in the anenomes tentacles. I would just spot feed the anenomes, and then also spot feed the crabs for now.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, how often for anemones and crabs ?
Not everyday, but weekly. I would say around 1-3 times weekly. You should find a schedule that works for you, and your anemones. I am not to sure about the crabs though.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could spot feed the anemones and throw in a little flake or pellet for the crab. Add some phytoplankton for the porcelain crab as they are filter feeders. Youngstown Ohio? If so where are you at?

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, anemones need stable water parameters, so most people wait 6 months to a year before putting anemones in their DT. What's your background history with keeping fish, or is this your first tank?

OP
OP
Richards Aquarium

Richards Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, anemones need stable water parameters, so most people wait 6 months to a year before putting anemones in their DT. What's your background history with keeping fish, or is this your first tank?
I had a 125 before was beautiful no problems. This one ick an brook took out 5 fish. That's why I'm in quarantine. I'm learning as I go her. Never had to do this yet I'm in good perimeters except for calcium mine is 320 to 360 for the Anenome’s.
Question my 17 gallon quarantine is at 0.50 Ammonia it was at 0 yesterday does coppersafe raise Ammonia. How much water change do I do ? I'm turning over 60 gallons an hour that's all I have it's a profin 120 by ehime. It's not functioning properly. I have a big airstone in it also.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 125 before was beautiful no problems. This one ick an brook took out 5 fish. That's why I'm in quarantine. I'm learning as I go her. Never had to do this yet I'm in good perimeters except for calcium mine is 320 to 360 for the Anenome’s.
Question my 17 gallon quarantine is at 0.50 Ammonia it was at 0 yesterday does coppersafe raise Ammonia. How much water change do I do ? I'm turning over 60 gallons an hour that's all I have it's a profin 120 by ehime. It's not functioning properly. I have a big airstone in it also.
Copper safe can raise ammonia, but I think if you use a liquid test kit it can cause a false presence of ammonia.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back