Fallow?

Stephy A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So recently I lost almost all my fish livestock to what appears to be velvet. They were all gone within days. The only survivor has been lawnmower blenny who is now swimming all over the tank, eating and loving life. In my last post, my tank parameters were pretty spot on and I changed the salinity to 1.025. Should I move lawnmower to a QT while I let my DT fallow for 76 days? I worry that it might stress him out since the QT is minimal

Nikko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would - Just try to make sure the parameters in the QT are as similar to your DT parameters. If it is a calm environment with some hiding places, and at least some ambient light, the fish should get used to it. Still a lot safer than leaving it in the DT.

The blenny might have more resilience to velvet but still may fall victim to it. I’ve experienced a similar situation where I thought my wrasse was alright and ended up dying also..quickly Sometimes fish don’t exhibit symptoms right away but as you know things can go south in a hurry with something like velvet.

Id rather play it safe and get it out of there and give it at least two months. Just my thoughts..

OP
OP
Stephy A

Stephy A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would - Just try to make sure the parameters in the QT are as similar to your DT parameters. If it is a calm environment with some hiding places, and at least some ambient light, the fish should get used to it. Still a lot safer than leaving it in the DT.

The blenny might have more resilience to velvet but still may fall victim to it. I’ve experienced a similar situation where I thought my wrasse was alright and ended up dying also..quickly Sometimes fish don’t exhibit symptoms right away but as you know things can go south in a hurry with something like velvet.

Id rather play it safe and get it out of there and give it at least two months. Just my thoughts..
That is what I was thinking. I was looking for confirmation! Thank you!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blennies have a super thick mucus coat to protect them but in order to be able to restock the tank eventually 45 days at 81° will get you there.

Start making your plans now to be quarantining and medicating what you want to put back in the tank.

@Stephy A this isn't a failure. Just learn from it and move forward.

My tank was wiped out in May of last year from Velvet.

Today
PXL_20220131_011008769.MP.jpg

Last edited:

Nikko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with all the above. Things like velvet tend to wipe out the most susceptible fish than go down the list. Doesn't mean your blenny will get taken iut but the sooner you get that guy out of there, the better chance he has. Good luck to you! @Stephy A

OP
OP
Stephy A

Stephy A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blennies have a super thick mucus coat to protect them but in order to be able to restock the tank eventually 45 days at 81° will get you there.

Start making your plans now to be quarantining and medicating what you want to put back in the tank.

@Stephy A this isn't a failure. Just learn from it and move forward.

My tank was wiped out in May of last year from Velvet.

Today
PXL_20220131_011008769.MP.jpg
Wow, your tank is beautiful! I’ve started out so slow and thought I did everything right but I want to save lawnmower if I can, then start off real slow again. I can’t give up…I spent so much on this Thank you!

OP
OP
Stephy A

Stephy A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with all the above. Things like velvet tend to wipe out the most susceptible fish than go down the list. Doesn't mean your blenny will get taken iut but the sooner you get that guy out of there, the better chance he has. Good luck to you! @Stephy A
He is coming out asap once I get the QT up and going with some rodi!

OP
OP
Stephy A

Stephy A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t say that. This hobby has ups and downs. Best to quarantine and dip. At least u identified the cause and know what’s best for the system. Keep positive and after the fallow period add Qt fish. I know I did. I’m sure u will too
I did do both a methylene blue dip and freshwater before I added them. Since it was a new tank with only the CUC, I felt there was no reason for a separate quarantine. I should have rethought that. Thank you for the kind words!

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is everything I am reading on here. I’m just so sad and feel like a failure!
DO NOT feel like failure. You have no idea the masses of things that can happen. Not a hobby for the faint of heart but we all love it. Sorry to say there will probably be many set backs. We just keep learning. Hence why this forum is so popular

ikaros70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel for you, when things go bad in this hobby, it can go bad very fast.
My tank crashed a while ago and I am just now getting back to getting it back up and running.
Since it sounds like you a have a QT tank, I would move whatever is alive.
Save what you can.
I had to take a leave from the hobby when my tank crashed, just couldn’t start over at the time. Until now.

Current Tides

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So recently I lost almost all my fish livestock to what appears to be velvet. They were all gone within days. The only survivor has been lawnmower blenny who is now swimming all over the tank, eating and loving life. In my last post, my tank parameters were pretty spot on and I changed the salinity to 1.025. Should I move lawnmower to a QT while I let my DT fallow for 76 days? I worry that it might stress him out since the QT is minimal
fallow or sterilize and treat the blenny with chroloquine phosphate or copper. from what ive seen, some fish can can develop an immunity for up to about 6mo, then eventually fall ill..

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow this qt setup and use either copper or tank transfer method. I like to use fritzyme 9 in qt as it immediately reduces ammonia like prime does but also has additional bacteria in it.

Current Tides

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does my QT need to be cycled to move lawnmower over?
nah just feed lightly and keep an eye on nutrients. you can use some biofilter additives like seachem stability, fritz fishless fuel, or something similar. prime will help if you DONT run copper. DO NOT use copper+prime.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good info as well, i though humble put it in the copper treatment part but he did not. Always best just change out water but if needed

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back