Fallowing Tank with two surviving fish?

MRusso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
4-5 months into this hobby and got to experience velvet that wiped out my tank except for two chromas. Treated with Rally Pro when I recognized (or was told) I had velvet. Still lost all but 2 after the treatment. The treatment either worked or they are resistant to velvet?

Question is, I'm in the process of setting up a QT tank, not cycled yet, but can you fallow a tank with the fish that survived or will they continue to be a host that will infect new fish when added?

Tank: 80 gallon cylindrical (ya, I know, won't do cylindrical again)

Thanks for any info,

Mark

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish were never quarantine, and I know they are resistant to ich. 2 month ago,after 3 years in the tank, my hippo came down with ich, and cured himself without me doing anything. No other fish got sick. No diseases for 3 years, nothing added, yet suddendly one fish gets sick. So if you want to fallow your tank, you must remove every fish.

Upvote 0

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
4-5 months into this hobby and got to experience velvet that wiped out my tank except for two chromas. Treated with Rally Pro when I recognized (or was told) I had velvet. Still lost all but 2 after the treatment. The treatment either worked or they are resistant to velvet?

Question is, I'm in the process of setting up a QT tank, not cycled yet, but can you fallow a tank with the fish that survived or will they continue to be a host that will infect new fish when added?

Tank: 80 gallon cylindrical (ya, I know, won't do cylindrical again)

Thanks for any info,

Mark
Can we see a pic of the cylindrical tank? I am curious.

Upvote 0

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rally pro is not a cure for velvet its a treatment for secondary bacterial infections. Proper quarantine is the only way to keep it out of your tank. Treat fish with copperpower in quarantine. Pull the chromis before going fallow and make sure to monitor you nutrients if you have corals while in fallow. It can be easy to bottom out and have a dino bloom when you stop feeding because you no longer have fish in the tank.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back