Fan-like Protrusion ID Help Please!

  • Thread starter Thread starter chapter7
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

chapter7

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 17, 2025
Messages
240
Reaction score
204
Location
Sacramento
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could someone please help me ID what these things are growing from the base of my candy cane? They’re almost translucent and kinda fan-shaped at the tips …. Thanks!

IMG_0435.jpeg
 
Need a better photo, but probably sponge
 
Sponge is generally a good thing sign of a healthy tank
 
Just throwing this in randomly so you know for future. It could be dictyota
 
Just throwing this in randomly so you know for future. It could be dictyota

Thank you, I’ll look into it. Do you know if they are healthy for the system or invasive?
 
I thought dictyota was a blue green color.
i think under uv you’ll see the new growth with that blue but it’s just bland brown green.
 
Psych

I’m wrong then
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 6.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 6.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new