Farmed or wild

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This and the last time making my frozen food I have opted for wild caught shrimp, scallops, and oysters. It was in the process of spending twice as much on jumbo diver scallops and wild shrimp I wondered why.
So the question: is there a substantial benefit to wild (or farmed in India for that matter) over the other? Or do I save the money next time?

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This and the last time making my frozen food I have opted for wild caught shrimp, scallops, and oysters. It was in the process of spending twice as much on jumbo diver scallops and wild shrimp I wondered why.
So the question: is there a substantial benefit to wild (or farmed in India for that matter) over the other? Or do I save the money next time?
Im curious too. I’ve been thinking for some time now of making my own foods.
Currently I alternate between mysis and brine, and I throw in a chunk of Rods original and also alternate blood worms and butterfly/angel food. All frozen. Needless to say, 3 cubes at a time along with another tank getting 1.5 cubes… well it’s adding up.

I’d love to know what your using.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have very little exposure to fish/shrimp farming practices in India. From the little I have seen, most shrimp farms are in low-lying areas that usually flooded. They erect a temporary barricade (mainly nets) to keep the shrimp in the 'farm.' As far as I know, they are all certified organic. It should make very little difference between wild-caught and farmed. These are all based on my experience in Kerala, India.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it looks like nutritionally, there is little difference between farmed and wild. It comes down to the sustainability of the harvesting?

hikermike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there is a difference in nutrition depending on the item in question. Take wild caught salmon versus farmed atlantic salmon. Wild caught has fed on animal life all it's existence while farmed salmon has been fed a diet based on grains, hence the multiple complaints around salmon pens polluting their local neighborhoods, and They won't have the same omega 3 fatty acids that salmon are prized for. Same goes for multiple sites of shrimp farms, they're fed an artificial pellet food stuff hardly natural. Also, a large number are set up in areas that have been cleared of mangrove forests which changes the eco system in many ways and sets up a dangerous labor chain while destroying the locals previous way of living. On the other hand, oyster farms (we have a tiny one on my son's property) and scallops all depend on nature and the sea around to provide for their nourishment which has been unchanged in eons. (until recent global warming which may force a change from the indigenous olympia oyster to the imported japanese olympic/pacific/ whatever local name you wish to put on it. Also, in some instances if you grow your own shrimp/copepodes/isopodes etc you can mess with nature in a "positive" way (for your fish) and pump them full of extra ingredients. The point is, oysters and scallop would be good where ever you find them but take care with fish and shrimp. Although fish may not live long enough for nutrition differences to make any difference.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there is a difference in nutrition depending on the item in question. Take wild caught salmon versus farmed atlantic salmon. Wild caught has fed on animal life all it's existence while farmed salmon has been fed a diet based on grains, hence the multiple complaints around salmon pens polluting their local neighborhoods, and They won't have the same omega 3 fatty acids that salmon are prized for. Same goes for multiple sites of shrimp farms, they're fed an artificial pellet food stuff hardly natural. Also, a large number are set up in areas that have been cleared of mangrove forests which changes the eco system in many ways and sets up a dangerous labor chain while destroying the locals previous way of living. On the other hand, oyster farms (we have a tiny one on my son's property) and scallops all depend on nature and the sea around to provide for their nourishment which has been unchanged in eons. (until recent global warming which may force a change from the indigenous olympia oyster to the imported japanese olympic/pacific/ whatever local name you wish to put on it. Also, in some instances if you grow your own shrimp/copepodes/isopodes etc you can mess with nature in a "positive" way (for your fish) and pump them full of extra ingredients. The point is, oysters and scallop would be good where ever you find them but take care with fish and shrimp. Although fish may not live long enough for nutrition differences to make any difference.
Thanks. It was salmon farming that got me thinking about the question in the first place.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back