Farming pods in a small refugium

sdrloveshim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got bio balls, some live rock, and some cheato algea in a small hang on back refugium. It's been a couple weeks and I can see the pods now! I got this setup to feed my dragonet, but do I have to do anything to get the pods from the refugium into the tank to feed my fish? Or will they swim or get knocked out into the main tank in their own at a reasonable feeding rate?

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turkey blaster and squirt a few in there to stir them up? Let the flow bring them down?

they’ll migrate naturally but not sure if they will at a rate to keep up with feedings. Unsure.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got bio balls, some live rock, and some cheato algea in a small hang on back refugium. It's been a couple weeks and I can see the pods now! I got this setup to feed my dragonet, but do I have to do anything to get the pods from the refugium into the tank to feed my fish? Or will they swim or get knocked out into the main tank in their own at a reasonable feeding rate?
I think they'll migrate into the tank slowly

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dragonets and maderins consume a ton of pods. If you haven't bought one yet, when you go to a pet store have them squirt some frozen brine by them and see if they are interested. Ideally you want them to eat some frozen and pods. Rumors are they can eat up to something like 200 a day when adult size.

OP
OP
sdrloveshim

sdrloveshim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What hang on refugium did you purchase. I have plans for one for my nano
Finnex External Refugium Breeder Hang-On Box. I grabbed it on Amazon. I like it well enough. It would have been nice to get a bigger one just because I could fit it, but the price difference and what I needed it for this made more sense for me. I did a fair amount of googling about best refugium for the price and this was at the top of I think every list.

HAPPY-REEF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finnex External Refugium Breeder Hang-On Box. I grabbed it on Amazon. I like it well enough. It would have been nice to get a bigger one just because I could fit it, but the price difference and what I needed it for this made more sense for me. I did a fair amount of googling about best refugium for the price and this was at the top of I think every list.
Thank you! I may get it and black out the back and side and nice ruf light on it

CryptoNautical

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of variables at play here, especially with tank size and rock, but they should migrate to the tank and seed your rock and sand. I currently have a baby scooter blenny that I had to train to eat brine. It takes time but if you can get them where they can eat pods and frozen foods, you'll have a much higher survivability

Back