Farming the ocean

Birthisel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings from a new member, I have lurked and liked this site for a bit.
This quarantine is serious and tedious, but it has allowed me to get after my Caribbean coral rearing setup (2 frag tanks with a turf algae scrubber) to the point where I feel like I have conquered the hair algae plague. I have some Favia, Sidereasteae, and especially Porites that I am growing out for fragging purposes, my favorite is the one I call "Key Lime" due to its green bioflourescence.
I have learned and experienced a lot, and with my ancient zoology (B.S., '76) background still rolling around my thoughts, here is my thinking on reef aquaria.
-Like a lot of practices, the way of the reef tank is being simplified to a point of artificiality which will end up as an electronic glass box with a 3D display, that will provide some joy but lack life and work.
-True Reefers will persist as a small minority, rising to the challenge that has been so problematic, that of capturing a complete ecosystem, which includes a planktonic community.
-Diving and working with the reef environment is the best pursuit on this planet, but a reef aquarium is not far behind
corals819.jpg
I look forward to interacting with true reefers, their pursuit is noble because it teaches something worthwhile.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! Be sure to start a build thread in the members tank section of the forum and share your adventures :)
E30D7371-412F-484B-810F-941CC57551DD.gif

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 27 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.4%
Back